Fatsia - Spider's Web

Simba

Fatsia - Spider's Web

Post by Simba »

Saw a batch of incredible Spider's web today, but didn't have enough cash for one.
These ones had some much white in their varigation they looked amazing.

Definately going back ASAP to get one, but I was just wondering if it should be handled any differently from a regular fatsia...?
themes

Re: Fatsia - Spider's Web

Post by themes »

Slightly more tender but only just. I would just treat it the same as fatsia. the deeper the shade the less varigation
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

Much the same as ordinary Fatsia, preferring dry shady conditions. I moved mine from a semi-sunny and shade spot to full shade last early spring but, so far, the colouration hasn't changed.
marfanuk

Post by marfanuk »

I purchased 3 from future primitive plants about a month ago and would definitely recommend a look. They were £12.50 for 3 plugs and have quadrupled in size size i purchased them.

http://www.futureprimitiveplants.co.uk/ ... hop_param=
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I think Lee (Bev) picked one up at Amulree on our recent visit.

Carol, are you sure it is not relative :?: When you talk about dry shade, do you mean DRY, or dryish. Here even succulents struggle in the dry. and the soil is completely dry down to 2 feet. My Fatsia wilts if not given some water. The leaves hang down beside the stems. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by marfanuk »

I do agree with Dave. I've been growing them for 15 years in three different gardens and they do not like it dry. One of mine was always wilting in the sun and so in the end moved it to a more moist position.

I just couldn't resist the FATSIA JAPONICA 'MOSERI' on the future primitives site. It is the same as japonica, but with leaves up to 45cm wide. I have just purchased one.
themes

Post by themes »

Dave Brown wrote:I think Lee (Bev) picked one up at Amulree on our recent visit.

Carol, are you sure it is not relative :?: When you talk about dry shade, do you mean DRY, or dryish. Here even succulents struggle in the dry. and the soil is completely dry down to 2 feet. My Fatsia wilts if not given some water. The leaves hang down beside the stems. :roll:
I agree that fatsia struggle..they like the soil moist to do best but perhaps that its in shade puts less stress on the plant
carolpz

Post by carolpz »

I can only say mine is in a very well-drained soil but it is in deep shade so I suppose doesn't dry out completely. icon_salut I thought they were known as one of the few plants, along with Astelias etc, that would tolerate dry shade. They definitely don't like sun, turning yellow at the very thought. :ahhh!:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Carol it may be the difference in rainfall rate, you are much wetter then here, so maybe 1 foot down the soil is moist whereas here it is dust dry right through where not watered. I dug out a small M basjoo clump last night and there were no live roots at all. It must have been growing from the rhizome. There was no trace of dampness or moisture at all, which is surprising with some of the deluges we've had back in June and July :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by marie06 »

Hi Simba - where did you see them?
Simba

Post by Simba »

@Marie - They had a batch at Todd's Botanics.
Photo number one shows them, and photo number two shows the one that I came home with today...
Attachments
DSC05033.JPG
DSC05034.JPG
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

wow they look mental
how much are they
Nick

Post by Nick »

I saw them somewhere for about £14/24, so not the earth price that we might expect

icon_sunny icon_sunny
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

at the moment i still need to pay less than that!!! :lol:
Simba

Post by Simba »

They are priced up at £12.50, but with my "frequent flyer discount" it only cost me a tenner..... :D