Las Palmas Norte

Re: melianthus major

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

"Damp summer conditions" ... that's why mine hasn't become invasive. :D

Cheers, Barrie.
derrick

Post by derrick »

This is my melianthus major i planted in spring .Was a sucker from a large 6 feet by 6 feet major in southampton centre .They spread wide if the cold dont cut them down like last years winter.
Attachments
S4010002.JPG
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

derrick wrote:This is my melianthus major i planted in spring .Was a sucker from a large 6 feet by 6 feet major in southampton centre .They spread wide if the cold dont cut them down like last years winter.
Derrick is that at Banana slightly to the right and further back.
:)
derrick

Post by derrick »

Yeh there is maurelii and lasiocarpa .The pics very dark sorry .
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

I have a small plant of m.m. that I have in a pot, what sort of spacing should I leave when I plant it out? Not taking into account that it may spread (not likely here).
pete G

Post by pete G »

I think it might do well there Jo AP, it just might do its growing a bit earlier in the season, and perhaps some late autumn growth.

I find it spreads, but not rapidly, so a couple of foot either way should be ok for a few years.
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Thanks Pete
BILLY2421

Post by BILLY2421 »

Thanks to all the information. I planted my Major this spring has grown well and intend to put a good mulch on top and cover with a bit of chicken wire with some fabric on top of that as it does get a bit cold up in Yorkshire. I have a back up plan and that is seed 2 that have germinated and would like to know do I overwinter the small plants in the cold frame unheated or in the conservatory that has a small amount of heating and treat them as a house plant until spring 2014, harden off then plant outside. The seedlings are approximately 1 inch tall for the middle of July.
Any help much appreciated.
Billy
South Yorkshire.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

I would opt for the conservatory myself. If you get lots of seedlings you could try both. My plant is in the ground and survived last winter with a bit of straw and fleece. It will die back to the ground up here(unless we get a very mild winter) and resprout when it warms up in spring. Once you get your plants established you could try just protecting them like I do but I doubt seedlings would take a northern winter even in a coldframe/unheatedgreenhouse unless we get lucky with a mild winter (here's hoping!)
Dim

Post by Dim »

I like these .... I'm going to try one in spring (i have a spot for it in my garden)
BILLY2421

Post by BILLY2421 »

Thank you that sounds about right do you think they will keep growing in the conservatory over the winter or die back.
Billy
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Has anyone successfully overwintered this north of London?
jcec1

Post by jcec1 »

I used to grow it in Dublin, where it needed no protection, but Dublin is fairly mild compared to Fife.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Blairs wrote:Has anyone successfully overwintered this north of London?

Yes in the ground since about 2009 then in a pot last year. The bad winter saw off the cuttings off the mother plant though.
Somerset77

Post by Somerset77 »

Down here in Somerset melianthus gets no protection at all, and stays evergreen. Just had to cut a 6ft branch down today as the wind last week bent it onto the lawn :evil: