melianthus major

lee-ann

melianthus major

Post by lee-ann »

This is the first year I have grown this and It has amazed me how well it has settled in.Though I'd share before the frost comes. :roll:
Attachments
HPIM1395.JPG
IMG_0588.JPG
IMG_0594.JPG
bobbyd44

Re: melianthus major

Post by bobbyd44 »

yes looks great lee ann def one for the start of next year for myself!!!
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Rob if I can get some cutting I'll put your name on one. Ok who knows how to propagate them :lol:
Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris »

Hi lee-ann,

hope you don't think I'm hijacking the thread - but I was wondering whether you (or anyone else) knew about overwintering these. I've heard it's not too difficult, but that you should really do something, just not sure what!

any ideas?
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

Mine has come through the last eight on nine winters in the ground with no protection, but then I am on the East Sussex coast.

As for propagating it, it send out runners in all directions, I just dig up one of these (or even a piece of the runner) and pot it up.
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

I grow M. villosus, the green cousin to M. major. Tough as old boots and worst case dies back to at or near ground level in a bad winter.
Most years only the leaves get frosted and new growth begins each spring.
Every summer brings flowers followed by seed pods in early autumn.
I've witnessed M. major behave similarly in other gardens.
Here's a couple of pics from my garden of Melianthus villosus.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Melliantus villosus 001.jpg
Melliantus villosus 002.jpg
pete G

Post by pete G »

I've also had a largish clump growing for years, most years mine gets killed to the ground or looks so bad I cut it to the ground.
The new foliage is, in my opinion, better anyway, than the old stuff from the previous season.
It rarely flowers for me.

I think its one of those plants that needs to get a couple of year to establish, and then there is no stopping it.
A mulch in the first winter might be a good idea.

I find it likes dampness in summer, mine looks very poorly in hot dry spells.

And as for propagation, I go along with Chalk Brow, I've never managed to root a stem cutting, but a piece of root, preferably with a short stem, will get going quickly in spring.

Barrie, is that a gum tree in your picture, the one with the amazing flaking bark.
lee-ann

Post by lee-ann »

Thanks for the propagating tips icon_thumleft Barrie that tree is awesome. :D
weve

Post by weve »

Here's my melianthus planted last spring (in a border, still under development, i hasten to add).

Not as good as yours Lee-Ann, (Lovely pics & I see yours is beginning to flower!) but still impressed as mine's gone from a 1ft (30cm) "stick" to a 5' (1.5m) plant in 6 months (and in a position where it only gets afternoon/evening sun).

Particularly like the way the foliage compliments the neighbouring plants.

Chalk Brow:
"it sends out runners in all directions" -Can it be said to be invasive? I hope not as I planted mine on my boundary. I did make a token "barrier" out of an old plastic bucket which i cut and "unrolled" and placed along the boundary side of the planting hole. (Altho' if its in T. rex's league I'm in problems :)) I know in its native S. Africa it can become a nuisance, but with our climate thought it to be less vigorous. I was given to understand (by Desert to Jungle, Taunton) the main challenge is getting through the winters rather than ever having to curb its spread. Appreciate any info about this, please. Thanks.
best
weve

From a "stick" to a nice 5' plant in 6 months
melianthussc.jpg
Last edited by weve on Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

like i said this afternoon Lee-Ann, fine specimen for such a young plant

good also to hear that they are pretty bomb proof. i shan't bother to do the cuttings thing this year (but its filled away for ref,,,) as i have 3 very nice seed grown plants on my patio in pots just ready for "that" spot next spring...
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

lee-ann wrote:Thanks for the propagating tips icon_thumleft Barrie that tree is awesome. :D
Sorry to detract from the main thread ... yes it's a gum tree, Eucalyptus pauciflora ssp 'debeuzevillei' (a couple of pics for ya).

As for Melianthus running rampant, it's not been the case here.

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
Oct02-09 008.jpg
Oct02-09 003.jpg
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Lee-ann and everyone else, I am really jealous :mrgreen: as I have tried twice and failed to grow this 'easy' plant.
The first I dug up and chucked in spring, as I thought it was dead (didnt realise it was deciduous) the second I gave ample time to grow back but it did not. :cry: £5 a time but still a shame. Best of luck overwintering them!
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I would not call it an invasive plant, but . . .

In about nine years it has covered an area almost two metres square, although it was planted in very poor dry soil at the base of a large conifer. However I decided this year to replant the are where it was growing after raising the crown of the conifer. I had not reckoned on the tenaciousness of the Melianthus, I thought I had dug it all out but obviously not, I now have dozens of little Melianthus sprouting up all over the place amongst the new plantings.
weve

Post by weve »

Many Thanks, Chalk Brow, that amount of spread should be fine.

Cathy, its the first winter coming for my M. major, so certainly not counting my chickens yet, but at the time of purchase i was advised to plant my "stick" (it looked like a rooted hardwood cutting) in the soil one node (about 2" or so) deeper than it was in its pot "to ensure it will be hardy", (which i did). Other than that didn't do anything special. Planted it in early April, to give it plenty of time before winter, in a sheltered spot with just some mp compost added and kept it moist. I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problems in Bristol re hardiness (my home town BTW, how is the old place?). You are lucky in Bristol, as there are quite a few exotic nurseries relatively close to you, (unlike me). You are even as close to Desert to Jungle, Taunton as I am. (where I got my Melianthus).

(BTW For people who haven't already been, Desert to Jungle generally have some good quality plants (altho' some prices can be a little high) But if anybody does ever go, check that "Rob" is going to be there first, as he can advise & help on anything and has a huge amount of knowledge, but is frequently away in spring/summer doing shows).
best
weve
Last edited by weve on Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete G

Post by pete G »

Nice tree Barrie. icon_thumright

As to melianthus major being invasive, I would say it is, depending on what you have growing next to it.
It will travel and grow into other plants, but its probably not that difficult to control.
Grown in damp summer conditions I think it could be a problem.
Perhaps it would be in the, winter milder, damper western areas, but mine is really stunted this year, its normally about 6ft by now with large spreading leaves.
Its actually fairly compact now and only about 4ft this year due to the dry weather.

It appears to be a winter grower in SA, which probably goes dormant in summer, that would explain why it seems to like dampness.
If you read this you will see why sometimes we struggle with this plant, our climate is totally out of sync with its growth pattern.

http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantklm/me ... smajor.htm