My Begonia luxurians

Petefree

Re: My Begonia luxurians

Post by Petefree »

All of that sounds pretty plausible. I have two plants I got a couple of years ago. I tried overwintering one in the house but it went downhill fast - so it went into the greenhouse with its sibling and both did fine.
Both were planted out last year and then lifted, potted and put back into the greenhouse for winter where both have stayed green and continued to grow albeit at a slow pace. That despite the fact a powercut during the prolonged post Christmas snowy period tripped out the power to the greenhouse so it dropped to -1C in there for one day and night (normally it's kept above 5C).
I didn't let them dry completely over winter, but only gave them a few drops of water on a few occassions.
I took four quite long cuttings using the "Chad Technique" last week and have them in deep pots with big plastic water bottles over the top - so am hoping they may work this time (fingers crossed).
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm obviously a novice only getting my fist plant 10 days ago. I has been watered and is in the coservatory.sitting on the prop base with bottom heat at 30C. Iave not lost any leaves... so far :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by weve »

When i went into the prop/hot house at HIll House it was very warm and humid, (almost like the palm house at Kew in terms of temp and humidity). Mine was in there and the rooting cuttings are kept in a even warmer plastic screened propagation area. After seeing this was worried about shocking mine by putting it outside straight away as (I also read on the net) they apparently loose leaves as a reaction to sudden temp change. So you are treating yours brilliantly Dave icon_thumleft (last year I just put mine straight out, but it was alot warmer then and also I hadn't been into the 'private' prop house, so thought nothing of it!)

I have also taken a very small cutting off my new one, as another possible back up as my others are struggling somewhat. (i would have done it Chad's way, but haven't got enough stem on any of them!)

Good luck with yours Petefree. keep us posted. Ray at Hill House said luxurians cuttings can be "slow". wish I'd asked him exactly how slow now!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm in no rush to plant out so this will stay on the prop base for the time being, and will probably remain in the conservatory this year. I'll bulk it up and take a backup before risking it outside. Might also consider pot planting it and bringing into the conservatory for winter :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Simba »

Well not having a greenhouse or prop available to me, I am 'experimenting' with a different route.

I have potted my Luxurians into a pot large enough for it to reach maturity, and I have kept it outstide, nestled beneath my large Fatsia.

I drag it out for some dappled sunshine when possible, and push it back under cover for Fatsia protection. So far so good, we shall see.... :D
Dave Brown wrote:Might also consider pot planting it and bringing into the conservatory for winter :wink:
As mentioned, this is how I intend to be keeping my Luxurians ...
weve

Post by weve »

Simba
Cheers for posting the pics icon_thumleft

I bought two last year and kept one in a similar sized pot to you and it did fine with lots of branching (positioned in full sun until about 3pm during the summer). It was only overwintering it in the house which caused the problems. (i think it was lack of humidity now, although not sure), Its outside now but not looking good as a bare stem (and perhaps still dieing back),

Hopefully I'll get my greenhouse erected this year to solve the overwintering difficulties.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Weve, I have read that bringing them indoors is not a good idea, as they cannot cope with the dry air, and they must have moisture.
weve

Post by weve »

Today (April 27th) planted out my "new one". The forecast regarding temps are good, so took the plunge. Its in semi-shade in a really sheltered position..

No luck with the one miniscule cutting i tried off it, but hopefully with a bit of growth on the plant I will have some, more suitable, material to try another.

My old original one, left planted out (but fleeced) all last winter is definitely dead, and the potted (back up) one, which I overwintered in the house, has died right back, altho' there is some life still in part of the stem its not looking promising. (So you are spot on Simba! BTW Nice pics......I positioned mine next to a fatsia too)

I intend to lift the new one before next winter. Hopefully I'll have some rooted cuttings by then too and the greenhouse finally erected to overwinter it and the cuttings.

BTW Petefree any news on your cuttings????
Simba

Post by Simba »

You are a braver man than I, Weve.... :)

No plans to plant mine out, I intend to keep it potted up, and move it about according to the weather conditions. A bit like a migratory Wildebeeste....:lol:

Now that we are having a bit more sunshine, I recently moved it from under the Fatsia, to under the Dazzler, where it gets a lot more sunlight and probably warmth I imagine, without any risk of scorch or drying out.

Mine is slowly coming along, lots of new growth and steadily getting bigger...icon_thumleft

I will post a photo later for some comparison.
weve

Post by weve »

Altho I hate loosing plants (for their sake as well as mine!) I have at least, the advantage of living close to Hill House, so obtaining a replacement luxurians is easy for me.

Planting mine out (and so early) tho' was probably a bit of "Torbay overconfidence" on my part too, especially as it turned out, a mild frost was forecast a few nights ago :shock: (Extremely rare for May here!!!!)!

So I assembled a little bubble wrap house over my luxurians, (which is planted in the warmest part of the garden anyway). Took only minutes as I had already sunk plastic pipe "sockets" into the ground ready, just in case. So it was just a case of dropping in some uprights and clipping on some wrap. So far, (touch wood) it seems ok and survived the forecast 'frost' OK (in actuality only a low of +3c)

In retrospect, it would have been easier and safer to wait! I'll just have to get it into my head that Torbay is no longer such a reliable "safe haven" these days!

My Folly - The luxurians house!
lux houseopti.jpg
Last edited by weve on Thu May 06, 2010 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

weve wrote:BTW Petefree any news on your cuttings????
Hi Weve
I'm quietly optimistic this time (thanks to the "Chad technique"!) I took 5 or 6 cuttings, quite long ones with several nodes on each, as the plants had retained healthy height in the greenhouse overwinter. Although I lost a couple to rot the three that remain are looking healthy and are pushing out new leaves.
I've resisted the urge to check for roots though, as suspect they might not be properly rooted yet, or not have enough root to survive a transplant out of their communal pot.
I have planted my two plants out for the last two summers and then lifted and repotted them for overwintering in the greenhouse.
I too found they didn't like the atmosphere in the house and have done much better in the greenhouse where it is cooler and less dry.
Incidentally, the power in my greenhouse failed for one night during the very cold spell and the temperature in there dropped to -1C. The luxurians appear to have been unphased by this showing no damage at all (though it was only for 1 night.)
Pete
Simba

Post by Simba »

As promised here is my comparison photo taken a few minutes ago...

A little bit taller, but lots of new green stuff.... :P
Simba

Post by Simba »

One month on, and the Begonia Luxurians now looks like this...

Begonia Luxurians
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Glad it is doing well Simba. icon_thumright

Mine has gone downhill big time as was too hot and dry in the consevatory, and doesn't seem to like the sun or wind outside. Beginning to think it is not a plant for me here :roll: Looks a mess at the moment.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Simba »

Well I have not fussed excessively over mine Dave, I have put it straight out into the garden, but positioned it's pot under either a large Fatsia or as it is now, under Cordylines.

It is well protected from the wind at this size, and only gets dappled sunlight, I also give it a misting most evenings.
Fingers crossed, seems to be doing OK with quite a bit of new growth and some leaves starting to get bigger. icon_thumleft