TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') clone recognition

Mr List

Re: TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer) clone recognition

Post by Mr List »

had a reply from easy tropicals and all they said was it comes from tissue culture. icon_scratch

still searching the net every so often and i still can't find another example of trex with leaves similar to the easy tropicals one.

even the picture on easy tropicals website is of the 'proper' deeply lobed plant.
BILLY2421

Re: TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') clone recognition

Post by BILLY2421 »

Hi
I am growing the green one as it is great in Yorkshire.
I am trying to buy root cuttings or plant of the
variegated Tetrapanax papyrifer.
If any one can help much appreciated.
A picture paints a thousand words so thank you for the pictures on propagation above well done.

Billy
Yorkshire
grub

Post by grub »

No chance Billy, mate of mine has one and so far it's been impossible to prop and get variegated plants :evil:
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I bought my t-rex about a year ago from James,it was advertised as steroidal giant.
I don't know if it is any different to uk plants,each leaf looks different as it matures.I like it whatever it is.

[imgImage
][/img]
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

at the end of the day, who cares what type it is- they're all awesome

whats the tallest in the UK? 20ft+ forest of them at Ventnor
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

I like the one from easy tropical that I got because it has a more complete leaf than most rexes @1m wide

but the biggest is still Mighty monster that dave has for 1.5m wide leaves.
I wish someone would get on the bandwagon of this being a different clone to other rexes and start selling it.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

I got this from Akamba last year. Overwintered outide and it did fine...i believe its a rex but being honest i'm not sure yet
20130529_212311.jpg
call

Post by call »

mine is a flat leaf from the palm centre
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

once it defoliates in the winter and come back in the spring if I didn't want all that bare stem showing could I cut it down about half way and another growing point start? or would cutting the top off it kill it? I like t rex more as a bush than a tree with a bare trunk.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

basically yes , kind of just like a big fatsia really.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I've found that it only bushes out on the previous years growth, if the stem is from the year before that, then on the two occasions I've tried it, it has failed. It looks like its going to bud up and throw out leaves, but these soon abort.

You can see in the pic where I've left a bud 'just' at the point of last year's growth (others I rubbed out and missed this one), lower than that, nothing came of the buds. I killed one a while back by cutting into wood that was two years old, that was the point mine started to pup.
Picture 3147 [640x480].jpg
Picture 3148 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

well I would like it to pup but I also want to keep it about 5 ft in height...hmm what to do.. I really cant afford to kill off the types from the UK as I may not ever get them again.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I dunno how old yours is Mike, but personally if I had a young one and they were hard to get, then I wouldn't risk cutting it down as I'm sure eventually you'll get pups from it and you can then play about with those.

Quote: I really cant afford to kill off the types from the UK as I may not ever get them again.

I'm sure it'll be fine, but If you do happen to lose yours, I'm sure you'd be able to get a replacement from one of us here, but hopefully wont come to that icon_thumleft

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Mr List wrote:I like the one from easy tropical that I got because it has a more complete leaf than most rexes @1m wide

but the biggest is still Mighty monster that dave has for 1.5m wide leaves.
I wish someone would get on the bandwagon of this being a different clone to other rexes and start selling it.
I still have the (Princess) plant all the original root cuttings came from, it does seem as if there is a difference between clones from this and other Tetrapanax out there. The plant was putting out 1.5 mtr leaves in the nursery but we dismissed this as being due to it growing under glass but it still puts out big leaves now. It also turned out to be much hardier than any other Tetrapanax i had as it survived 2010 in a large pot unprotected when all the rest died. The plant is currently still in a pot but is going in the ground in the spring. I will be taking some root cuttings when i plant it and i will make some available once they are big enough. I would be interested to hear from anyone that had root cuttings from the original plant or from subsequent cuttings or offsets that anyone else struck as it would be good to find out who , if and where it is still growing so we can keep track if its lineage . I am also looking into registering it as a separate clone probably under the name "Phoenix Giant" but this wont be for a while as i need to meet a few requirements with regard to uniformity and stability of the plants produced.

Steve
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This is my Tetrapanax Rex, i got this from a friend on the forum back in 2011, looking at the pics from the first page that dave posted i think i can say mine is the same as carol's one. This is mine in September 2013.

Mike end of last season mine reached 5 1/2 foot high, and 9ft wide. But i lost my growth point last winter but i still am confused at to what happened with it as it didn't turn to mush from the winter it was protected well but the growth point seemed to dry out and crumble at the top very weird! But now i have 5 growth points. i am glad i have the room for it, but it has pupped a lot since losing the main stem from last winter.
Attachments
php0viD5aAM.jpg