TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') clone recognition

phoenix

Re: TRex (Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Rex') clone recognition

Post by phoenix »

Aaron that looks like one of the "Grooved" leaf plants Dave refers too the "Princess" cuttings are much flatter and broader. here are a pic pics of the original variegated plant and one of its original non variegated offsets that i was growing at the nursery.
P1130559 032.JPG
P1120185 094.JPG
P1130558 031.JPG
P1120184 093.JPG
P1120184 093.JPG (66.38 KiB) Viewed 2966 times
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yes it does look very similar Phoenix doesn't it. My leaves do look like they droop a bit more though?
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

I actually like the overall look of your plant Aaron, it seems to produce more leaves than the Phoenix ones do and the cascade effect works really well. I had one that was similar from Nick at PGP (see pic) but i lost it in 2010, perhaps a bit of root swappage is on the cards come the spring :)

Steve
P1120824 254.JPG
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That does look like mine! All my growth was from new pups last year, as i mentioned i lost my growth point in winter 2012/13 why i don't know? Grub had the same experience as well, though i have left the old stem to see if it will regrow from there in time?
I can sort you out a cutting if you would like phoenix or i can send a small pup for you, then you will be on your way then?
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Yeah i saw Grubs plants at the back end of last summer, he's been encouraging me to get back in the game for a few years now LOL. He told me about the growth points but most of his plants seemed to have recovered.
There doesn't seem to be any one single reason why some plants loose their growth point while others don't. Most seem to start into growth lower down the stem as long as its not too woody, a good indicator is the presence of dormant buds on the softer "green" wood but even that can be a bit of a hit or miss affair.
I've also found in the past that if you cut off the rotted tip before new buds form then the whole stem dies off, again i have no explanation as to why but i now tend to leave the plant recover before pruning away the dead wood.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

It was very strange i have to admit, hopefully mine will regrow from the old stem but i am not going to get my hopes up :lol: i will leave the old stem on though as if it does end up being dead then it should break down in time?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

does anybody remember the member called bob that had a rex that put out the big 1.5m leaves?

here

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 0&start=30

I need to plant another tetrapanax in a more prominent position ,I wouldn't mind it being the bigger type if I did icon_thumright
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Wow thats another impressive plant, does anyone know where it came from ?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Certainly a different form to mine as all the leaves on bobs are a nice space between them, mine overlap one another. Sorry phoenix i don't know where bobs came from. Looks very similar to dave browns though.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Mr List wrote:does anybody remember the member called bob that had a rex that put out the big 1.5m leaves?
He moved house and the rex got left behind i believe. Sad, as it was a beauty
phoenix

Post by phoenix »

Yes you're right Aaron, looking through the pictures of his plant it does seem very similar to Dave's & mine, I did sell quite a few on e-bay during 2009 which is when he seems to have got it so it might be one of them, especially given the shape and size of the leaves. Like i said in an earlier post i'd love to track down the plants that came from the original, mostly to determine if there is stability throughout the plants produced.
Its a shame that it got left behind in the move but perhaps he managed to get some rootstock before he left
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

phoenix wrote:Like i said in an earlier post i'd love to track down the plants that came from the original, mostly to determine if there is stability throughout the plants produced.
Its a shame that it got left behind in the move but perhaps he managed to get some rootstock before he left
Had a lot going on over the last few weeks, but had a think about it over lunch today. I'm not too sure how you will go about registering a clone derived from your variegated plant that are plain green. Logic suggests that it was the variegation in yours that was different, and that plain green ones from the same parent as your variegated will have the same traits as the the green offspring from yours. If that makes sense.

As you insisted that yours did not come from Mulu, I have removed the word Mulu from all posts relating to the plants I grew from your root cuttings, however I think you will have a mammoth task getting people to call it something other than TRex, as that is the now the 'common name' given the larger, non-standard Tetrapanax in the UK.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

If I compare your Princess leaf with Ade Shattocks TRex leaf they look pretty near identical to me.
Steve Jacobs Teprapanax.JPG
Steve Jacobs Teprapanax.JPG (59.8 KiB) Viewed 2913 times
This is one taken of on the HTUK South Coast Meet of Ade's TRex on 14th Sep 2008, one month before I saw your variegated plant.
140908 Ade T Rex.jpg
It was when comparing Carolpz's plant with Ade's, that I termed one grooved, the other a flat leaf type with larger leaves.

I don't know where Ade got his from.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Bob »

sanatic1234 wrote:Certainly a different form to mine as all the leaves on bobs are a nice space between them, mine overlap one another. Sorry phoenix i don't know where bobs came from. Looks very similar to dave browns though.
Hi Aaron,
My plant came from Desert to Jungle at Taunton. I believe the pups they sell are harvested from a big plant they have growing in one of their polytunnels. The owners were never on site to ask whenever I visited so I cant say where their original plant came from.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

oh look it's bob! :o :D

have you got a new garden now?

I am no expert but I think a clear 50% larger leaf and a different leaf texture/shape is enough to have a different name.

crug farms have a lot of plants that are different to such extents with separate names.

I think most plants sold as rex are commonly the 1m sized leaf plants.