Slate and Bark chippings night!

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
greendragon

Re: Slate and Bark chippings night!

Post by greendragon »

Be warned, if you have any cats in the area where you live they WILL go crazy over the bark and it will be the new community toilet.

I put alot of bark down but ended up replacing it all with slate. Ever since i took the bark up I have not had any cat crappe at all so far.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

they don't care for the bark in the garden as much as they do plain ground here.

they love to pee in all the pots with it though.
my problem is the red wood chips around the lawn, that they love.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

holy bumpage :D

I find the goldcoast 20mm pebble style decorative stone cats looooooove, anything that it diggable easily and looks like cat litter :lol:

Might be having another slate and bark night soon this year icon_sunny
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I am slowly getting rid of the bark on my beds as its now become one big play area :( , i'm just using fine screening soil. karl.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

The best thing about slate chippings is that cats never dig and crappe in it. At least they haven't so far but I won't put anything past them.

:lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Since using bark chippings my soil quality has improved no end due to it breaking down and rotting in. The weed reduction is also superb, AND with a good 4-5" over my canna and dahlias virtually all are coming up again this year despite a low of -10C! icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Blackbirds trashing your woodchip? pfffffffffff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DECOY-FALCON- ... 5ae58bbe0b
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

saw a cat digging a poo hole in my garden yesterday, ran for the window key, picked up nearest projectile (cat lovers will hate me for this) metal toy aeroplane-basically a ninja throwing star. 40ft arching lob from upstairs window-BANG on target icon_rambo perfect timing as he was squatting but hadn't poo'd yet. he belted it off down the road
flounder

Post by flounder »

I want to follow the path to enlightenment, master icon_bounce icon_thumright
jezza

Post by jezza »

fieldfest wrote:saw a cat digging a poo hole in my garden yesterday, ran for the window key, picked up nearest projectile (cat lovers will hate me for this) metal toy aeroplane-basically a ninja throwing star. 40ft arching lob from upstairs window-BANG on target icon_rambo perfect timing as he was squatting but hadn't poo'd yet. he belted it off down the road
Are you good at targeting pigeons? They are making a really bad mess of my garden.

I used to use bark chippings until the blackbirds kept flicking it over the grass, so i covered it in gravel and let the chippings rot into the ground under it.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

fieldfest wrote:saw a cat digging a poo hole in my garden yesterday, ran for the window key, picked up nearest projectile (cat lovers will hate me for this) metal toy aeroplane-basically a ninja throwing star. 40ft arching lob from upstairs window-BANG on target icon_rambo perfect timing as he was squatting but hadn't poo'd yet. he belted it off down the road
you actually hit the cat !?

i would have no problem with hitting the ground right next to a cat but might be inclined to incite words if i saw you hitting a cat.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Mr List wrote: you actually hit the cat !?

i would have no problem with hitting the ground right next to a cat but might be inclined to incite words if i saw you hitting a cat.
Unless they can play cricket for England, a person's throwing abilities are not able to differentiate between the two at that range icon_pirat
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

then he should have been aiming further away from the cat!!!!

they only need a little shock to make them scarper not injuries.

a metal plane from that distance could have done some damage!!
that poor cat might have been to the vets and the owners out of pocket by a lot of money.

it is akin to somebody lobbing something at one of your prized delicate plants. icon_thumbdown icon_thumbdown
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

a cat lover i presume? i didnt expect to hit it, but they get worse in their cat fights

if one of my plants went and sh*t on your garden i wouldnt blame you lobbing something at it
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Can't stand cats, the closer the better! icon_thumright

That said, I'm considering getting a cat just to try and fight off all the local cats who c$ap all over my garden, damage the kids trampoline, even scratch the paintwork on our cars and of course, killing the local birdlife (I once found nine dead goldfinch bodies under a bamboo I moved a couple of years ago!!!... in case you hasn't guessed I hate the animals! I never understand why its ok to let a cat wander around doing all this damage?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.