Really free draining growing medium

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Really free draining growing medium

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I use perlite to get a free draining mix but noticed that a few of my bought plants are supplied in a better draining mix based on what looks like wood chippings/bark. My cyathea dealbata is planted in such a mix and needs watering daily.

Can you buy such a mix "off the shelf" or does anybody have a suitable recipe? I think it will be great for potting up overwintering colocasia and bananas.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Really free draining growing medium

Post by Dave Brown »

You have to be careful Kris, I used to use shredded bark as it was very quick draining, but in the second year the roots rotted. What I discovered was the shredded bark allowed rapid draining in year one, but in year 2 it had started to decompose, so consolidated leaving very wet heavy compost with no air gaps. :roll: I now use perlite although that is not entirely breakdown proof.

Brian Williams uses peanut shell in his compost, although in Kentucky, there is probably tons of the stuff locally :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dumb question but when you say shredded bark do you mean those bags of forest bark that you buy from the sheds? Then put this through a shredder at home?

I take your point about it decomposing but I was thinking more about just using it for a season ie when colocasias have been dug up and then potted up for winter.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

surely adding sharp sand and grit will make it even more free drianing.....like a cactus mix.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:surely adding sharp sand and grit will make it even more free drianing.....like a cactus mix.
Yes it does but I've noticed that this orgainic coarse stuff that the fern is in is much better.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Yes Kris it sounds right, I would think the cyathea would grow naturally in that decomposing woody earth found in forest floors, don't know how to duplicate it but I know exactly what you are on about :D
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Kris i would get in contact with the supplier you brought it off and ask them what they use and where to purchase it for the plant you have just brought from them. I am more than sure they will tell you. :wink:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

sanatic1234 wrote:Kris i would get in contact with the supplier you brought it off and ask them what they use and where to purchase it for the plant you have just brought from them. I am more than sure they will tell you. :wink:
I don't know the supplier it was from a garden centre not a nursery.

Don't Crug use a mix like I described?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

As for banana plants 50/50 of mp compost and perlite will be just fine, i used it on mine last year and not one has rotted. Cant help with colocasia as my first season overwintering these, i have a mission on my hands here. :lol: I have gained 5 colocasia's this year. i am hoping to get these through the winter. I will more than likely just use the same mix as my banana plants have 50/50 of each perlite and MP compost.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

sanatic1234 wrote:As for banana plants 50/50 of mp compost and perlite will be just fine, i used it on mine last year and not one has rotted. Cant help with colocasia as my first season overwintering these, i have a mission on my hands here. :lol: I have gained 5 colocasia's this year. i am hoping to get these through the winter. I will more than likely just use the same mix as my banana plants have 50/50 of each perlite and MP compost.

Yes I use the same but still sometimes the mix stays damp for ages in winter. I have more collies than I know what to do with as usual, as I propogate the pups. I will find room for them all this year.
simon

Post by simon »

Urban Jungle use a very finely shredded bark based product as a mulch on thier pots. It sounds like the same stuff. Maybe Liz can tell you where to get some.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

simon wrote:Urban Jungle use a very finely shredded bark based product as a mulch on thier pots. It sounds like the same stuff. Maybe Liz can tell you where to get some.
Cheers Simon, I'm guessing though no one here uses such a mix?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:As for banana plants 50/50 of mp compost and perlite will be just fine, i used it on mine last year and not one has rotted. Cant help with colocasia as my first season overwintering these, i have a mission on my hands here. :lol: I have gained 5 colocasia's this year. i am hoping to get these through the winter. I will more than likely just use the same mix as my banana plants have 50/50 of each perlite and MP compost.

Yes I use the same but still sometimes the mix stays damp for ages in winter.quote]

Sounds to me like the you need to give less water when you water, or may be put them somewhere a bit warmer, my nana's dried out really quickly. but i really cannot comment on the colocasia's as i have never over wintered them before. i do hope they are ok and don't rot.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Some people use leaf mould to loosen the mix. I don't have space to make my own but the treasurer of the BCSS uses it in his Aloe polyphylla mix and he grows them extremely well. Some plants such as aloes and palms (trying it with yuccas and terrestrial bromeliads too) like a free draining mix without the root restriction caused by added grit. For agaves, cacti and most other succulents I use 2 parts JI no. 2/1 part alpine grit which a good starting point for succulents.
Rootball

Post by Rootball »

Dave Brown wrote:You have to be careful Kris, I used to use shredded bark as it was very quick draining, but in the second year the roots rotted. What I discovered was the shredded bark allowed rapid draining in year one, but in year 2 it had started to decompose, so consolidated leaving very wet heavy compost with no air gaps. :roll: I now use perlite although that is not entirely breakdown proof.

Brian Williams uses peanut shell in his compost, although in Kentucky, there is probably tons of the stuff locally :wink:
I tend to agree with Dave.

Growers often use a medium which is excellent for root growth, like really coarse peat for example, but may not be ideal ongoing.