Best all round bang for buck weedkiller?

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
sanatic1234

Re: Best all round bang for buck weedkiller?

Post by sanatic1234 »

Use roundup cordy it is really good stuff attacks the roots and not just the top foilage like most weedkillers do. They have made a new version of it now where you can plant in the soil straight away after the weeds have been sprayed. where as before when they first made it, it was advised not to plant in the treated area for up to 12 months!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

ive still not bought a decent weedkiller yet and the roundup certainly sounds like good stuff!

jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Kata, eternity is a long time, most flamethrowers have a built in obsolescence. :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

because of the coating on horsetail, it doesn't absorb weedkiller like most. Mix up stuff yourself, resolva, glyphosate whatever in a bucket, put on your hand an old sock, into the bucket, squeeze off excess and then rub up and down on weeed to try and bruise the leaves. This allows for take up. Takes 2-3 weeks to show signs its worked and multiple applications are needed.
remember
WASH YOUR HANDS AFTER USE!!!!
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi all,
You used to be able to get weed killer in a greasy stick which you just painted on, much better than spraying if other plants are around. Ask at your local GC. I had a small patch two years ago just kept hoeing and picking up the bits, it has now gone as it gradually weakens the weed.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have just gotten some of this for my clients garden, from my local garden centre. and will be using it tomorrow on his garden. So i will let you know how the results turned out. It is supposed to be really effect on the reviews i have read online. The owner of the GC could not speak highly enough of it either.
Attachments
Bayer super strenght Glyphosate.jpg
Bayer super strenght Glyphosate.jpg (20.74 KiB) Viewed 2887 times
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Ended up buying the roundup

how much are you supposed to put on each weed?

did the driveway and it left a glossy grey colour over each weed. They still look aliveish a week on :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I think efficacy is reduce once the plants start to get more dormant, and are "growing" less - so I think you would get a better kill in the main growing season.

Glyphosate has to work its way down to the roots before it does its magic, so a couple of weeks before you see results is common. Resolva, which also contains a desiccant or somesuch, shows results overnight - and then the Glyphosate ingredient does its work over the following couple of weeks. Its handy because you can see any bits you missed, and retreat immediately rather than waiting two weeks ... and then another two weeks ...

Glyphosate is badly effected if it rains within 6 hours of application, so make sure its forecast to remain dry when you apply it.

But I still think that Glyphosate is relatively ineffective against Marestails / Horsetail as per original question.
SueW

Post by SueW »

I daren't touch my weedkiller sprayer anymore. Last year I managed to kill a newly-planted apple tree and a couple of fruit bushes by spraying with Roundup! :ahhh!: I think it must have been a 'senior' moment, as I thought I was zapping the aphids...it was only days later I realised I'd used the wrong sprayer, when I spotted brown, curly and very dead leaves! :oops:
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Horsetail is not all bad you might be sitting on a fortune. An old farmer once told me dig up one tone of horsetail roots burn them and in the ashes you will find 1oz of gold!!! Personally I can think of easier ways to earn a crust. icon_thumright

Just think, It`s another use for the flamethrower. :lol: :lol: :lol: