Best all round bang for buck weedkiller?

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
cordyman

Best all round bang for buck weedkiller?

Post by cordyman »

I was considering this...

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?a ... egories%3C{9372012}/categories%3C{9372020}/categories%3C{9372098}/specificationsProductType=weed_control/specificationsSpecificProductType=systemic_weed_killer

I have some horsetail in my borders and want something with a long lance type sprayer so I can avoid other plants.

Is there an issue with weedkiller soaking into the soil and effecting roots of my nearby tropicals?
kata

Re: Best all round bang for buck weedkiller?

Post by kata »

Whats up Cordy,

Is flamethrower no good............. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I like Resolva at £5.00

icon_cheers icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

not bought it yet :lol:

Thinking about weed killer instead!
kata

Post by kata »

Weedkiller is ok but you have to keep buying it, I used my last yesterday till tuesday but don't really need more,

Flamethrower will be eternal will it not?

icon_cheers icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Cost of gas i guess.

Been reading up on horsetail and it seems the roots go upto 2 metres deep! :?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

it seems Ammonium Sulphate would be the best, but every weedkiller I find has Glyphosate icon_scratch

so far i've found this for filling up...

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs/st ... ext%3EWEED
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Cordyman having a little looksy for you on interweb :lol: ,
Horsetail is a serious weed, because it has a waxy silicone coating to it, weed killers can't penetrate very easily and have little success rate. Apparently you need to beat it about with a stick or similar till its well bruised then use superstrength glyphosate on it, use a second time after a couple of weeks when the weed is in a weakened state. The bad news is glyphosate can have serious implications on surrounding plants and soil, very technical once I started looking into it :lol: , different plants grown in different ways and some would be highly suseptible to the use of this weed killer. I would be pulling it out whenever I saw it, keep on top of it that way, I'm fortunate never had this weed in any of my gardens. Looking on the bright side at least in not Japanese Knot Weed :ahhh!: :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Trudytropics on Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kata

Post by kata »

If you keep on top of it Cordy for the Horsetail its so easy to pull up in passing,

Don't poison whats not needed.

All weeds we kill this year will lol at us next year. Don't you have Greenthumb,. I think you mentioned it? For a little extra its my guess they would spray that horsetail at same time as lawn.

Just be mindful of your garden plants when spraying with whatevea.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

I got one of those pump & spray things last year, used it a couple of times and binned it this year. As spray it was a poor piece if kit when it worked, and it did not work for long. I could not be bothered trying to fix it, and would not get another one.
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I did the same Mick with the small version. What a crock o crappe...

...I bought a no name small one and it don't half blast, you should see the bugs fly off no joke.

Its just a small hand sprayer...holds about two pints, it was bought for houseplant watering really ...brilliant.

icon_cheers icon_cheers icon_cheers
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Fully agree Kata, any half decent sprayer has got to be a lot better. The Roundup weedkiller in it is actually very good, it's even working on ivy.
kata

Post by kata »

Catapillers galore Mick, white moths, red Lily Beetle, Honey bees,

Them Honeybees even followed some dead flowers I was taking to the bin :lol: :lol: Get away, get away..I thought they were baby wasps to be honest till the guy down the road said what they were.

Anyway I blasted them all with my diddy sprayer :lol: :lol:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

cordyman wrote:it seems Ammonium Sulphate would be the best, but every weedkiller I find has Glyphosate icon_scratch
The company that used to provide Ammonium Sulphamate (be careful with the spelling as Ammonium Sulphate is just a Nitrogen fertilizer :) ) as a weed killer didn't reapply for license when the EU rules changed a few years ago because of cost of application and a requirement to test on dogs (as the existing tests were deemed insufficient). Well that's what I've heard from numerous sources including this one by John Harrison a prolific author of vegetable growing books

Anyways, its still legal to be sold as a compost accelerator, so you can get it for that; just don't spill any on your horsetail! Its available from Dax http://www.garden-products.info/rootout.htm although Amazon and eBay sell Ammonium Sulphamate

(Note that "Growing Success Deep Root" was what Dax used to sell as a weedkiller. This product no longer contains Ammonium Sulphate - just Glyphosate - although some people still seem to be advertising that as containing Ammonium Sulphamate - old advertising "copy" I expect)

Nice simple chemistry - breaks down to "fertilizer", but can't plant in the soil for a short while after application, whilst it breaks down; although I have used it to spot-spray Horsetail that springs up amongst plants here occasionally.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I have tried everything and they are all pretyy much the same as I have a massive problem with ground elder.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Dunno how well Ammonium Sulphamate works on Ground Elder, my only experience with it has been on Horsetail (often referred to as Marestail although that term is more correctly used for the aquatic weed - sorry, trying to be clear rather than pedantic!). We have all but eradicated it here, but as it is rife in the surrounding agricultural fields, we do get new spores blow in now and again :(

We had ground elder at our previous garden which we eradicated, over about 3 seasons, using Glyphosate. We used small hand sprayers to apply to each leaf / clump as it appeared (I would guess about once a month during the growing season), and we lost several plants in the process - it was a big garden and the need to eradicate the ground elder exceeded the need to be careful about some of the existing plants!