greenhouse shading advice

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
gabriel

greenhouse shading advice

Post by gabriel »

Well i own a greenhouse, and got a lot of palm seedlings that would love to overwinter in it.
My problem is that last year in January I've put some of them inside,and they were cooked after a weekend,sun burned all of leafs.....What can I use so the sun won't kill the plants?
thank You in advance
G
Hoops

Re: greenhouse advice

Post by Hoops »

have you tried some greenhouse shading net. Probably get it from B & Q and such like
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've also seen people use a kind of whitewash for windows which they splash all over the greenhouse roof to create a dappled shade.

This method is popular in the Channel Islands in high summer apparently.
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

thank You folks, i have heard of whitewash but was thinking that maybe rain and snow may wash it away...?
i will look for the shading net,thank you Sue.
G
Scott Radford

Post by Scott Radford »

gabriel wrote:thank You folks, i have heard of whitewash but was thinking that maybe rain and snow may wash it away...?
i will look for the shading net,thank you Sue.
G
It won't be washed away if you put it on the insside of the glass icon_thumright
gabriel

Re: greenhouse shading advice

Post by gabriel »

Just applied whitewash,looks like it's going to filter the sun light, great stuff
thanks
G
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

icon_cheers

;)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Your palm seedlings burnt in January sun :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: You'll need to keep them in the dark in June then. :lol:

Sorry for jesting but I've never had that problem :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by gabriel »

Dave Brown wrote:Your palm seedlings burnt in January sun :ahhh!: :ahhh!: :ahhh!: You'll need to keep them in the dark in June then. :lol:

Sorry for jesting but I've never had that problem :wink:
My greenhouse is in the position that 'when'sun is shining it will be getting it all day.
As it is clear glass i presume sunlight is burning the leaves, it happend to me twice allready :ahhh!: :ahhh!:
so this year I'll be ready icon_rambo
G
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

The "whitewash" sold for greenhouses is (I think) intended to go translucent when wet - so that it lets more light in (needs to be on the outside to get that benefit :) )

An alternative is to drap some net over either the greenhouse, or the sensitive plants. Scaffolders Debris netting is a cheap, durable, solution. Also useful for keeping Cabbage White butterfly off Brassicas and the like.

I got mine from Tarpaflex
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Kristen wrote:The "whitewash" sold for greenhouses is (I think) intended to go translucent when wet - so that it lets more light in (needs to be on the outside to get that benefit :) )

An alternative is to drap some net over either the greenhouse, or the sensitive plants. Scaffolders Debris netting is a cheap, durable, solution. Also useful for keeping Cabbage White butterfly off Brassicas and the like.

I got mine from Tarpaflex
Thanks Kristen,
i have applied whitewash on the inside of me greenhouse,now I'm thinking I'll change it :lol: