All compost appears to be peat free nowadays

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
Conifers

Re: All compost appears to be peat free nowadays

Post by Conifers »

huporhaha wrote:I fully agree Conifers - small "cottage industry" peat gathering that has gone on for centuries is one thing - mass denuding of the countryside by the multinationals is another. I'll still gather enough peat to keep myself warm next winter without feeling guilty but I do use coir and other alternatives for a lot of my garden plants.
Yep; small-scale individual digging is actually good, as it creates small pools which are used by dragonflies for breeding.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've been looking at wholesale compost recently and there are peat based and peat free available to the horticulture industry.

Many exotics are pretty stressed with being here in the first place, put them ina compost they are not happy with, and it could be 'good night Vienna'.

I have not found any peat free compost that performs well on the plants I grow. They seem to be shredded bark based and are far too moisture retentive, inviting rot during winter. :roll:

I am looking into stock compost which is more coarse allowing better drainage. Also I am looking at Melcourt potting bark, which are small bark chips increasing organic drainage. I have not found a non 'big bulk' supplier so far.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote: They seem to be shredded bark based and are far too moisture retentive, inviting rot during winter. :roll:
Coir-based compost is less water-retentive than peat, and in my experience, definitely better than peat for healthy plants. It also has the big advantage that it doesn't go water-repellant the way peat does when it gets dry.

Hard to find coir compost though, the stores up here don't sell it any more.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

coir isn't a whole compost Conifers, Long term you need some loam icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:coir isn't a whole compost Conifers, Long term you need some loam icon_thumright
Agree in part; sorry, I should've said, for germinating seedlings. But equally, this tree (Pinus pinceana, a rare Mexican endemic) was grown in commercial coir mix and was over a metre tall and very healthy when I passed it on to RBG E. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have done so well in a peat mix.
Attachments
Picture 027a.jpg