Seeds palms

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
oldman

Seeds palms

Post by oldman »

I have a new palm seeds. I would not refuse a little advice and help!

Jubaea chilensis, Livistone chinensis
Syagrus romanzoffiana, Serenoa repens silver

Addictedtopalms26

Re: Seeds palms

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

Where abouts did you buy them from? As freshness is key!

This is the ones i've tried myself below:

Jubaea wise if you get a brick and gently tap the shell then you'll hear a crack and the case should come off leaving the embryo inside (apparantly this speeds up the process) then pop them in spagnum moss (In a sandwich bag) and get as hot as possible! I'm talking 30c if possible. For the Syagrus romanzoffiana pop in the spagnum moss and give a high heat.

Your Trachycarpus and Phoenix seeds will probably just germinate in compost on your windowsill icon_thumleft But you can also use the spagnum moss method.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I've had a lie in and only just got up, so the only thing that comes to mind is the ravenala need heat....32-35c oh yeah, if I remember, jubaea need time...lots of time.
I tend to use the baggie method, except for the date seeds which I use the kitchen towel and plastic container for. Also, I buy dates at a local market, 3 boxes for a pound. Thats about 100 seeds plus you can eat the dates!
I'll elaborate later once I've had my bucket of tea :?
oldman

Post by oldman »

Ty for the info. The seeds are from NL, purchased through internet site, but dont know it... Do you have english site with fresh palm seeds?
Addictedtopalms26

Post by Addictedtopalms26 »

This site is good for advise: http://www.davespalmpages.co.uk/

Then click on Germination ideas -> Methods with some seeds

Ebay is where i've got a few things from, but just found this site:
[url]http://www.trebrown.com[url]
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

The rest have given you sound advise, I cant add anything really. Only throw them all away after 12 months and stop wasting your time. Then go and buy the biggest palms you can afford! Its fun trying though. Growing palms from seed is something we all need to get out of our systems. :lol: :wink: icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

jungle jas wrote:Growing palms from seed is something we all need to get out of our systems. :lol: :wink: icon_thumright
How do you think the palms you buy from a nursery were grown. You can't take cuttings of non cespitose types :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

Dave Brown wrote:
jungle jas wrote:Growing palms from seed is something we all need to get out of our systems. :lol: :wink: icon_thumright
How do you think the palms you buy from a nursery were grown. You can't take cuttings of non cespitose types :roll:
Yeah, but it's not the same when someone else grows it from seed instead icon_thumright you can't say it's all your own work
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

I know what you mean Ive just b brought back a load of seeds and seedlings that I picked up whilst on holiday, but I am aware that for me its a complete wast of time. I shall never see any of them grow to a decent size, but i just cant help myself, my hand just keeps reaching out and picking them up. I think its some sort of reflex action. icon_thumright
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

jungle jas wrote:The rest have given you sound advise, I cant add anything really. Only throw them all away after 12 months and stop wasting your time. Then go and buy the biggest palms you can afford! Its fun trying though. Growing palms from seed is something we all need to get out of our systems. :lol: :wink: icon_thumright
I know you were sort of kidding with this comment,but I read a similar one on here about 3yrs ago.It made me more determined not to give up on my seedlings.I now have a collection of about 50 different palms,some of which I have never seen for sale in the uk.I think it great that you can buy a pack of seeds,delivered from all over the world,for less than a pint of beer.I keep meaning to sell a few spares on ebay,but it's difficult to let go.

The only advice I can add,is a repeat of a post I made earlier today.Pre soak the seeds,that like warmth to germinate,in hand hot water(I put mine in a vacuum flask to keep the temp. high) change the water every day.
I germinate most of mine,in tupperware containers,placed in a propagator.I normally use coir or a mix of compost/sand/perlite.I know, a lot of people use sphagnum moss,I will try it,when I get round to buying some.Best of luck.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I have just noticed,the your orginal post was well over a year ago.It's a bit late,me giving advice now :roll: If you are still with us 'oldman',it would be nice to know how you got on.
cichlidfish

Post by cichlidfish »

jungle jas wrote:I know what you mean Ive just b brought back a load of seeds and seedlings that I picked up whilst on holiday, but I am aware that for me its a complete wast of time. I shall never see any of them grow to a decent size, but i just cant help myself, my hand just keeps reaching out and picking them up. I think its some sort of reflex action. icon_thumright
I think I have that reflex, I can't help picking seeds when I see them.
cichlidfish

Post by cichlidfish »

I find it quite satisfying growing from seed, though I know it can be a painfully long wait. I have a trachycarpus oreophilis that is probably a year and half old and only just growing its 3rd juvenile leaf. But then I have washingtonia that are on the 4th leaf after only a couple months.