Compost

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
kata

Compost

Post by kata »

Hope its in right place..

Its from my 'Friends of the Earth' tip of the day.
Care for your compost

If you have a compost bin, cover it for the next few months, to keep heat in and rain out. If you have a wormery, wrap it in old carpet or bubble wrap to keep the worms warm so that they can continue to turn kitchen waste into rich compost when temperatures drop.

Best Wishes, Rita @ Friends of the Earth
icon_sunny
jezza

Re: Compost

Post by jezza »

I cannot get to my compost bin, bamboo has grown around it and i can't reach it :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wot u like Jez... icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Compost heaps need to be damp for decomposition, but the warmer, the quicker it occurs. Last winter my compost heap completely dried out, and I had the chuck a lot, as once dried up it doesn't rot down, even if re-wetted.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Compost is very difficult to re-wet once its dried out Dave,

Not much chance of that here.......... :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:Compost is very difficult to re-wet once its dried out Dave,

Not much chance of that here.......... :lol:
Last winter/spring was exceptionally dry, but since then has more than made up for it :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Has'nt it just,

I have loads of containers I had filled up with rain now I need to empty them....very wet summer.

Hope next summer is better Dave...hotter, drier like the desert.... :lol: :lol:
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

With me gardening for a living as well as a hobby and charging to take away garden waste and to save some trips to the tip I compost any suitable material. I have five heaps, three plastic bins and an enormous doulbe bin I built myself. I produce between 7 - 10 tons easily a year and if I say so myself I have perfected the process and get good quality compost in as little as four months. The way to get consistant good quality is by mixing the soft sappy materials and grass clippings with the woody prunings and shreddings in the correct ratio even if it means adding newspaper to get the ratio correct. It is getting the correct carbon to nitrogen ratio that is the key and I try for about 25-1 then it is never too dry or wet and the bigger the heap the more heat it produces. The only trouble with producing so much compost is my soil level is getting higher and I am now having to build raised beds all round my garden.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I wish I had room in the garden for a compost heap but I would not want to encourage rats etc.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Don't worry about the rats Rob, they rot down eventually icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

fern Rob wrote:I wish I had room in the garden for a compost heap but I would not want to encourage rats etc.
I wonder: Do folk actually have problems with rats and compost heaps? My heap isn't near the house, but I can't say I've ever noticed that there have been rats there - nothing gnawed through etc.

Might be a question of what sort of kitchen waste you put on the heap?

For stuff more like Meat and so on there is a Green Cone or Joanna or some name like that, which I think is rodent-proof?
kata

Post by kata »

Here you are Kristen,

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/categ ... d-digester

Alsorts on there and water butts are not too expensive, better than my system of saving water last year (dishes etc.... :lol: :lol:

There is even pet poo wormery.

:mrgreen:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thanks Kata, they also have a Johanna on there too:

http://www.originalorganics.co.uk/categ ... composters
kata

Post by kata »

Thats great Kristen, and a winter coat... :lol:

I want a butt, but I also want a decent sized fern.... :( oh, what to choose.

I could get a tap fitted to the outside wall I guess.

:mrgreen:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:I could get a tap fitted to the outside wall I guess.
More expensive than a water butt I expect?

And if you have hard water I think the ferns would prefer the rain water?