Compost

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
allangreenbean

Re: Compost

Post by allangreenbean »

I pile my food and plant waste behind the shed where it remains damp all year round and out of direct sun.

Also makes a great home for wildlife such as frogs and all those little bugs.

I don't turn or aerate the pile so it take longer to decompose but less work for me :)
kata

Post by kata »

I am sick of this hard water Kristen,

If only you could put something in every wash so half bottle of conditioner is'nt needed... :( Costing me a small fortune just for conditoner.

There is something I could have fitted to the system but its council so thats out. My other old town had soft water and when I came here the first week I was sick, had the runs and had to go to hospital and be put on a drip to stop what was going on.

Its extremely crystal clearwater but drink bottled water mostly.
kata

Post by kata »

I can't do that Alan,

Last year I had a family of mice in the shed. I forgot I put Peanuts and fatballs to store. An unbelivable site met me when I went in, all the peanut and fatballs were in a pile on the floor.

I don't have access to the back of a shed in that way they are solid structures.
backgardena.jpg
I will explain. To the left (brick wall) is the second shed where the mice lived all winter. follow the plant pot line keep looking left to the bottom and there is a space round that corner but its concrete and leads by a gate to next door. Its what they call the bin run through that gate.

No back of shed, only doors.

icon_cheers
Last edited by kata on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Does a water filtration jug thingie make any difference for you drinking the tap water?
kata

Post by kata »

I don't have one Kristen, keep meaning to buy one,

Its usually summer for some reason when I think about those, but then go next door and buy a plant.

I may see how much Sainsburys are next shopping trip.

What I also don't see is a juicer on the net. I really want a juicer.

:roll: :roll:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:I really want a juicer
We had one. Took longer to clean all the pith out of the strainer thingie than to make, and drink, the juice :(

Fresh juice tasted good though :)
kata

Post by kata »

Yep, they are messy but the benefits to your health far outweigh that,

:mrgreen:
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:Yep, they are messy but the benefits to your health far outweigh that
Hopefully, although I read now that Sugar in the diet is the main threat to our children dying younger than their parents because of diabetes and obesity. The premise is that around about the 60's Fat was considered the enemy, so farmers bred lower fat animals, Margarine (now banned of course ...) was touted instead of butter and so on. At the time Sugar was considered, but coronary heart disease was considered the bigger issue.

Now we have obesity from excess sugar in the diet, and I think I read that even sugar from fruit was more than we should be taking in ...

Using a juicer will mean that you use more fruit (to a glass of juice) than you would use if you just ate some fruit ...

... of course we could all be run over by a bus tomorrow, so you takes your chances ...
Dim

Post by Dim »

we use a juicer .... we juice any veg we have (including spinach), a few carrots and some apple or pears to sweeten it up ... I always look at the reduced fridge at Tesco and normally find organic veg/fruit at bargain prices

you need to drink the juice soon, as it tends to get a brown colour very fast (it does not effect the taste though)

the trick is to lay the juicer parts in soapy warm water straight after juicing
Dim

Post by Dim »

as for compost, I maintain a garden at a pub ... the chef gives me boxes of veg peelings on a daily basis when I ask him ..(my bins are full now)

I managed to fill a large dalek compost bin in 9 days .... so it's worthwhile asking your local pub for their peels

also dont forget to add carbon ....I add approx 30% of shredded recycleable cardboard boxes which the pub gives me aswell (all their veg is delivered in boxes)

I have 3 large bins which are full and (hopefully) decomposing
kata

Post by kata »

I have loads of sugar on my Wheetabixs every morning,

I eat cake at every meal...love my afters... :lol: I weigh around 10 stones and I am around 5-8 big boned.

I get all my health checks done and my Cholestral is almost non existent.

Its 'fat alley' in supermarkets you need to be aware of kristen. and the horsemeat....ugh!!!

With a juicer we can mix n match fruits.

I can't eat prunes but could if I juiced them, oranges, apples, bananas, pears and exotic fruit which are now becoming the norm in the fruit n veg department...throw them all in... :lol: :lol:

Enjoy!!
Caprier

Post by Caprier »

kata wrote:What I also don't see is a juicer on the net. I really want a juicer. :roll: :roll:
If there's a Lidl near you, kata, they do that sort of thing really cheaply, although you have to wait for them to come around every six months or so...
kata

Post by kata »

I don't have one near me but I think I can maybe get one online at a Lidl,

Thanks Caprier icon_cheers
Dim

Post by Dim »

kata wrote:I don't have one near me but I think I can maybe get one online at a Lidl,

Thanks Caprier icon_cheers
most carboots in my area often have juicers for under a tenner ....

I also bought a kenwood breadmaker for £5 from carboot (never used and boxed) ... and we have never used it either (we don't bake bread often, but when we do, we knead by hand and make 'artisan' bread in a cast iron lidded pot in the oven, so it's just a white elephant in the kitchen) :(

so don't rush and check your local carboots first
kata

Post by kata »

Ok Dim,

Thanks!
:mrgreen: