Sizing plants for borders

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
Steady

Sizing plants for borders

Post by Steady »

As I'm still relatively new to gardening I'm only starting to get my head around sizing plants for decent looking borders, the problem I find is that unless you can buy large mature plants that can be planted at the back of the border straight away a young plant looks out of place. Is it just the case that gardens just take many years to come together or are there ways around this by maybe moving plants around when theyve grown a bit? I'm always looking at people's borders but maybe I'm not appreciating maybe how long it has taken to achieve the look!
Springy

Re: Sizing plants for borders

Post by Springy »

I used a lot of annuals and perennials for the first couple of years until I had some larger plants to put in or until the smaller plants had filled out.
My garden history link below shows how it looked in the first year going from nothing up until the first winter. You would be surprised at just how much they fill out. This year will be the first time that I have an evergreen background that's got any height! icon_thumright
Steady

Re: Sizing plants for borders

Post by Steady »

Springy wrote:I used a lot of annuals and perennials for the first couple of years until I had some larger plants to put in or until the smaller plants had filled out.
My garden history link below shows how it looked in the first year going from nothing up until the first winter. You would be surprised at just how much they fill out. This year will be the first time that I have an evergreen background that's got any height! icon_thumright
love your garden pics! I think it helps if you have large beds and borders as larger beds can be viewed from different angles giving you different perspectives on plants, would be happy if my garden looked half as good as yours!