Plants That You Would Like To See On The Market:

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
Blairs

Re: Plants That You Would Like To See On The Market:

Post by Blairs »

If you have the space then a selection of sizes works: pups are small and online people will buy a few cheap ones with a bigger order.

Agave pups are quite often and relatively cheaply found on ebay, so larger Agave is an untapped market if delivered. I have seen largish Agave go for very cheap on ebay due to 'local collection only'.
Hugo Fillery

Post by Hugo Fillery »

Thank you very much for those suggestions and feedback. Does anyone have any particular Agave's they would like to see more of on the market or available? Also, what about the parrot tree or Naranjilla? Does that appeal to anyone?
Hugo Fillery

Post by Hugo Fillery »

An example of the Parrot Plant in Flower and it flowers 12 months of the year if kept happy.

Another example of the Naranjilla - Lost Fruit of the Incas (Solanum quitoense)

Very easy to look after, flowers and fruits at 6 feet tall and the fruit flavour is a combination of lime, rhubarb and pineapple. Likes heat, lots of water and feed but hates frost.
James1991

Post by James1991 »

If you wanted to go in a different direction its hard to come by hardy aquatic species of utricularia and red forms of aldrovanda. also cephalotus is very easy to propagate but people can charge a hell of a lot for them, i dont really understand that :?
Hugo Fillery

Post by Hugo Fillery »

James1991 wrote:If you wanted to go in a different direction its hard to come by hardy aquatic species of utricularia and red forms of aldrovanda. also cephalotus is very easy to propagate but people can charge a hell of a lot for them, i dont really understand that :?
Thanks for the suggestions James, I will probably slightly side track to the aquatic side as well as other categories and these are some interesting varieties. I'm not interested in ripping people off, I'm interested in finding a stable market to please customers.

These suggestions are good, I'm open to receive any other ideas?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It would be good for someone to have stock of larger unusual tree ferns and or spore grow some rarities such as C Robusta.
Lys

Post by Lys »

Many of the plants already mentioned, also Clerodendron, Justicia, Musa, Strobilanthes. Both Impatiens niamniamensis and Solanum quitoense are already on my list of plants to look out for/grow this year :)
Generally speaking I would be particularly interested in somewhere supplying plug plants/corms/bulbs etc, that I can receive easily through the post.
Good luck with your venture, keep us updated on developments.
Hugo Fillery

Post by Hugo Fillery »

Okay, these are very useful suggestions, thank you.

I will take them into consideration and keep you all updated on activity. Please keep posting in the meantime for more ideas. It would be much appreciated.