Taking spotted laurel (Acuba Japonica) cuttings.

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
doncasterpalmguy123

Taking spotted laurel (Acuba Japonica) cuttings.

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Hi all, i love spotted laurels and when the time is right would love to take cuttings of one. Has anyone got any experience with these plants. How should i get the cutting when i take one to root? Either the (1)traditional stand in water until it roots into the water and transplant into soil method or the (2)modern hormone root powder, straight into soil and keep moist method? A quick reply would be appreciated greatly.

Regards Dan. :D
bordersboy

Re: Taking spotted laurel cuttings.

Post by bordersboy »

I always thought the only way was to layer them like the green ones ?
doncasterpalmguy123

bordersboy wrote:I always thought the only way was to layer them like the green ones ?
Excuse my dumbness but what do you mean by layering? :D
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Layering is when you take a long branch, damage the bottom of it to break the layer and pin the damaged part to the ground, or air layer where you damage the bottom but then cover that in damp moss.

I have tried, several times, to root Aucuba japonica but they never did. The leaves stay green for months in water but never push out roots. I tried just putting them in the ground but the leaves just turn back and the damn thing dies eventually...so that means layering - best to google it for a step by step guide.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I do a lot of evergreens Nov/ Dec time. It's been so mild do 'em now. They are one of the easiest shrubs to propagate for me, I don't even bother with a rooting hormone (sorry, not bragging). Layering will near enough guarantee roots, but the time involved I tend to just do extra cuttings.
doncasterpalmguy123

Thanks for the replays guys, I've got one in water for now. I shall just put the damaged bottom into some peat soil and keep it moist to encourage rooting. Wish me luck. :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

You'd be better off doing the cutting in an open compost mix or even just coarse sand. It'll root 4-6 weeks whereas in water, it'll probably drown.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

What's a spotted Laurel ?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Dave Brown wrote:What's a spotted Laurel ?
Hi dave, the spotted laurel (Acuba Japonica) is not actually a laurel but got its name from similarity to true laurels. Its a neat evergreen shrub now common in the UK, a native of japan and very hardy. No protection is needed and a lot of people use them for hedging in this country. Female plants produce ornamental red berries in winter however male plants are needed to gain fertile seed. The actual variegated spots you see on them are a cultivated trait and the wild form are just dark green in colour. Heres some pic's;
Attachments
Aucuba_japonica_Crotonifoli.jpg
B8000263-Spotted_Laurel-SPL.jpg
B8000263-Spotted_Laurel-SPL.jpg (43.56 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
stipa 004.JPG
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ok, have loads of those and they self sow all over the place, :wink: and are quite fast into the bargain. A 2nd year plant can make 2 1/2ft.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Taking spotted laurel (Acuba Japonica) cuttings.

Post by Ricardo »

Hi,

My spotted laurels also self seed in the garden and I have about a dozen seedlings growing at the moment which I usually end up potting up and giving them to friends as I feel it is a waste to put them on the compost heap. Another point to make from plants grown as self seedlings is that they do not not grow true from seed, so that you will have differing variegations on the leaves rather than clones which makes them far more interesting to grow, some more yellow than green.

Regards

Ricardo
doncasterpalmguy123

Sounds great ric! Unfortunatly after layering my cutting has started to droop, looks like its on a slippery slope but i'll have to see how it goes. :D
Last edited by doncasterpalmguy123 on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ricardo

Post by Ricardo »

Hi,

If you get no joy from your cuttings then you are welcome to the seedlings if you are passing my way.

Regards

Ricardo
doncasterpalmguy123

Ricardo wrote:Hi,

If you get no joy from your cuttings then you are welcome to the seedlings if you are passing my way.

Regards

Ricardo
Ah thanks very much for the offer Ricardo, i would if i was closer however i think I've only been to leeds once in my life :lol:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Sounds great ric! Unfortunatly after layering my cutting has started to droop, looks like its on a slippery slope but i'll have to see how it goes. :D
I wonder if removing all leaves and using bottom heat will help rooting? Worth an experiment if you have the time and inclination.