Ideal planting position for Ensete Montbelliardii

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
sanatic1234

Re: Ideal planting position for Ensete Montbelliardii

Post by sanatic1234 »

It is 5ft 4 inches kata, good observation well done. I see a lot of people get 6ft - 8ft by mid summer and i think mine only gets to 6ft when its time to lift out the ground :?: icon_scratch It will be planted in may kata but yes mat try bottom heat in say end of march and april up until i bring it outside for planting. I think my patience has been extremely good, even talking to it and telling it off don't work. :lol: (TELLING IT OFF WAS A JOKE) :lol:

Your wet leave bases could easily be condensation as its been outside hasn't it wrapped up? I love watching the stems thicken on maurelli it is great. :) Newspaper will do it the world of good for getting rid of moisture good method dave posted on that. All my drainage procedures on the ensetes have come from dave.
kata

Post by kata »

Summer is not that long as a growing season, we never got much sun till May was it?

Four months minimum for true growth.

Feed it well, water it well and it should grown to that 8ft...full sun.

Hey, royalty talks to plants, why can't we. I now have to talk this Ensete into growth... :lol: :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Oh it gets fed and watered well kata, I think it must be the location it was planted in, that location got roughly about 8-9 hours a day sun when we have a lot of sun :lol: May be it wants a more sheltered position, I have many factors to think about really. Hopefully i will get it right. Wish i had a full south facing garden. :lol:
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

kata wrote:Summer is not that long as a growing season, we never got much sun till May was it?

Four months minimum for true growth.

Feed it well, water it well and it should grown to that 8ft...full sun.
Look at daily UV index and it is 0 from late Oct to late Feb, maxing between June and August. So growing season is a possible 8 months.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

sanatic1234 wrote:my ensete 'Montbeliardii' grows quite a lot slower than most peoples
I wonder if it is duff? Casualty of a side-effect of Tissue Culture perhaps?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I don't know Kristen, it could be? I do have another one that i got last summer in the closing down sale of jungleplants. So i will see how this one grows when planted but that one is already growing, very slowly but the roller is pushing out more and more as the weeks go by. I will see what that is like come end of the season. :)
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mines in full sun and done great in it first year....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Great news coddy! :) Hopefully with the new planting position i may also find a change in growth. :-)
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I planted mine on a former rockery with only a bag of manure added and still got to 8ft from a june planting so I think you may just have a dud.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Hmmm ... mine don't go out until June either. Is it getting cold in the Spring by being out early perhaps?

Hard to keep a Montbeliardii indoors for long of course, too upright / tall, Maurelii better in the situation.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Kristen wrote:Hmmm ... mine don't go out until June either. Is it getting cold in the Spring by being out early perhaps?

Hard to keep a Montbeliardii indoors for long of course, too upright / tall, Maurelii better in the situation.
It was an extremely cold spring in 2013
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That is true about the spring of 2013 it was a cold one, but 2012 wasn't all that bad if i can remember in fact didn't we have a spring with drought and double figures? then it just rained completely through summer when the hosepipe ban was brought into place. May be i do have a dud? I give mine manure kris also, chicken pellets and in between feeds with miracle grow just a weak dose also planted in fresh compost each year when planting and good drainage.

The suggestions and advice i am getting is very much appreciated thank you. :) icon_thumleft