Ideal planting position for Ensete Montbelliardii

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
sanatic1234

Ideal planting position for Ensete Montbelliardii

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have mentioned before i think that my ensete 'Montbeliardii' grows quite a lot slower than most peoples but i have planted it in the same place for the past two years. This year i am trying it in a new position as i think this is the problem. I do not have full south facing garden, I do have south west. My rear garden does not get the morning sun really apart from down the very bottom near my shed the rest of the garden will see the sun from a round 12-1pm in the afternoon and staying there till the sun goes down. The position i had it in i thought was best as it seemed to get a lot of sun light there but i must of been wrong. Do you have any suggestions on the most successful places in the garden for planting. I really do feel that my first 'Montbeliardii' should of topped 6ft by now after 2 years. Any tips would be great. It gets good feed and plenty of water where it originally was.
Kristen

Re: Ideal planting position for Ensete Montbelliardii

Post by Kristen »

Mine grows well. It is in a pot (which I think is on the small size, for the size of the plant it has become) which is plunged. It is in shade for most of the day. Its pretty much on top of a land drain, so should have good drainage even though my soil is heavy clay.

Dunno if that helps at all though!
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

You get better growth in the shade by the sounds of things? This is mine kristen as mentioned 2 years old this is potted only due to being lifted for winter. Sorry the maurelli is in front need to take another picture really. But it tops out for the past two years at 6ft, it currently stands now at 5ft 4 inches. So no doubt it will top 6ft this year but when i got it i measured it and it was 4ft 8 inches i think?. So not a lot of growth at all really in 2 years is it.
Attachments
phpxCSdThAM.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Thats a super sized 2 year old San,

I was disapointed with the height of mine which grew in a pot, I kept it in a very sunny area of the back garden.

This is it, the one thats under wraps. And I noticed when the sun shines like today it hits the covered Ensete.
ensetem2013.jpg
I removed the leaves and drained prior to storage.

icon_sunny
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Not my maurelli kata i mean the 'Montbeliardii' it is just at the back of the maurelli. The maurelli is 3 years old. 4th year this year. :D could do with a better pic of the 'Montbeliardii' really
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

regarding leaves i did do in the end as with the basjoo's in there as well it was just taking up to much width space so the maurelli only has the one leave same as the 'Montbeliardii'. :-)
kata

Post by kata »

Take a new pic of that 'Montbeliardii' but on its own,

icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think it has to be done don't it kata. :lol: :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

sanatic1234 wrote:You get better growth in the shade by the sounds of things?
Mine grow fine, but I've never grown them in full sun so have no point of comparison.
So not a lot of growth at all really in 2 years is it.
Date - Pseudostem height (from soil) and total height(ish!)

Montbelliardii

Oct Year 1 90cm / ???cm
Oct Year 2 160cm / 460cm

Maurelii

Oct Year 1 90cm / ???cm
Oct Year 2 152cm / 382cm
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My montbelliardi is nowhere near on growth like that kristen. My maurelli considering the rubbish start we had last year mine got set back quite a lot in fact very much, but i got some fantastic growth in such a very short time. First picture is june 25th and second 16th of september.
Attachments
june 2013.jpg
maurelli 2013.jpg
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I really do want the best out of my montbelliardi though, i feel it is just waiting to burst into growth but i am letting it down so i really feel it is the location.
kata

Post by kata »

Thats looks great San, stop stressing... :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

That is maurelli not montbelliardi kata. :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Just took a picture of the montbelliardi kata. Here it is, not very big seeing as though its coming in to its 3rd year.
Attachments
phpvHpKuuAM.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Thats about five foot San and looks great,

Its only just on three years as its only January...patience.

Get some heat under that in May/June and it should be twice the size come September.

On my Ensete it has a good width to the stem but not much height, this season I am going to plant it.

Ha! well I don't know now San.

I thought I would give it some air just now. The leaf stem where we cut the leaf are wet, not the roots just where we trimmed leaves prior to storage. Either thats occurred because its condensation or I should have drained it longer.

Its again on newspaper in my kitchen while I repot it and leave it there till I see sign of life. It does'nt seem to be spewing out gel or anything just a shiny wetness.

:(