Plants in shade

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
Bob

Re: Plants in shade

Post by Bob »

Chamaedorea Radicalis makes it through the winter here with short spells of -7 & 8c but I'm not sure about so far north.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Chalk Brow wrote:
themes wrote:Grenville,

Do you have any pictures of oreopanax in your garden. I have been meaning to get this for a while. How shaded a position is it in?
I bought the Oreopanax this spring Mo, an impulse buy, I did not know anything about it but as soon as I saw it I knew I had to have it whatever it was.

It's planted in fairly dense shade under the canopy of a Trachycarpus and seems to be liking it. I gave it plenty of water to begin with but to be honest it gets forgotten now when I'm watering as it is so much in the shade, so for the last couple of months has had no additional water, but it's growing well and now looks as if it is about to flower.

Just after planting in May 2009
Oreopanax ~ Hedychium ~ Tillandsias on Trachycarpus 7781.jpg
Early July
garden 14-07-09 9480.jpg
Today
Oreopanax 9836.jpg

what happened to this oreopanax? what species was it?

also in this thread a post by dave mentions Remusatia pumila, is this a hardy plant?
kata

Post by kata »

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i can't see mention of hardiness?
DebbieV

Post by DebbieV »

Ah, this is great! My sister recently moved into a house with a v shady garden and we were just talking the other day about what would grow well (she's not a v experienced gardener). I'll pass on some of these suggestions to her, very helpful, thanks all!