Plants in shade

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
simon

Re: Plants in shade

Post by simon »

I don't think Strobilanthes dyerianus is hardy, it will need to be lifted and stored somewhere frost free.

The petasites is supposed to be hardy but i've not spoken to anyone that grows it, so time will tell.
Last edited by simon on Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

themes wrote:I can see why you brought the oreopanax the foliage is gorgeous. It will be interesting to see how big it gets. It seems very adaptive to shade, from the pic the colour has darkened just like fatsia does when it is in shade.It has a lot of characteristics of ivy too. I wonder if its in the fatsia ivy genera of plants?
Yes Mo ~ it belongs to Araliaceae, the same as Fatsia and Ivy, you can see the similarity in that the new laves have a sort of casing like Fatsia, and the flowers look as if they are going to be similar too.

I don't know yet about its winter hardiness, but I'm hoping its sheltered position will help it through.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

sam140 wrote:What about dry shade. That the biggest problem i have with this style of gardening
Just remembered Pachysandra terminalis has done well for me in dry shade Sam - a have the variegated one. It spreads out and 'carpets' about 6" high once it gets going.
bev

Post by bev »

the oreopanax has come on a treat grenville, it looks like you've found the ideal spot. i nearly bought one a couple of months ago but there wasn't that much info on the label and i thought it looked a bit tender. i might have to have a re-think!

mo, looking very nice there! how's the cave and the sunken seating area coming on?

dave, great bedding. i bought a portadora from amulree too, it's just putting out it's second leaf although not as large as i'd hoped.

a plant i have in shade that is doing quite well is iresine, not on purpose as the t-rex has one of its one metre leaves sheltering it. i would have removed it but the iresine has coloured up very well.

cheers

lee
Nick

Post by Nick »

Dave I must admit I know nothing of these plants, but they look fabulous there, good photo's to by the way, the colours are really good and all go together so well, it looks a very colourful bed, your garden would be one to look around if ever I am in the Kent area, well done i love it icon_cheers

icon_sunny icon_sunny
themes

Post by themes »

bev wrote:
mo, looking very nice there! how's the cave and the sunken seating area coming on?

cheers

lee
Need more rocks :?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Themes mate, you've had me in stitches with your remarks, what's your real name,
I think I know, It's Got to be Rocky.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

Otis

Post by Otis »

Hi,

Could try Tricytris aka toad lilys in moist part shade. I've two species growing in my garden and the flowers in Sept-Oct are small but numerous and very exotic looking. They're easy to propogate too by simple roots division.

Otis
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Petasites frigidus var. palmatus .... The petasites is supposed to be hardy but i've not spoken to anyone that grows it, so time will tell.
Considering it is native to Arctic Canada, I wouldn't be worried :lol:
Newmi

Post by Newmi »

Astelia chatamica 'silver spear' is great in dry shade. Good sword shaped leaves with an amazing silver colour like they've been spray painted !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Persian Shield is colouring up nicely under the grow lamp and will be planted out in the shade after the last frosts
Attachments
2012-03-04-09-11-10 Persian Shield.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Bob »

It's a great looker Dave, will have to try and source some.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Its a great tropical bedding plant. My local garden centre had about a dozen last year but they all looked a bit ropey. I wish I picked one up in hindsight.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Can anyone recommend any hardy palms that will do ok in shade rather than just plants? The space I have gets about an hour of sun in the morning during summer but is in full shade spring, autumn and winter. A Trachycarpus or chammy is a no no as I already have a few of these close by so any other palms or yuccas that can be suggested for shade? Thanks.