sphagnum Moss

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
themes

sphagnum Moss

Post by themes »

Just picked up these packs of Moss from B&Q for a quid each even though the label said 3.98. Don't know what the going rate for Moss is. I know its a non sustainable resource, so would expect to pay more. Never brought it before so do not know if this is a good price etc
Dave in Warrington

Re: sphagnum Moss

Post by Dave in Warrington »

It sounds a good price but don't you have to use it promptly? I paid 'over the odds' at a garden centre but threw half of it away after potting up several bromelaids !

Perhaps someone may be able to shed some light on this, Can it be stored ? and if so how do we do it ?
themes

Post by themes »

Dave in Warrington wrote:It sounds a good price but don't you have to use it promptly? I paid 'over the odds' at a garden centre but threw half of it away after potting up several bromelaids !

Perhaps someone may be able to shed some light on this, Can it be stored ? and if so how do we do it ?
some of the bags are not sealed and had water leakage and this may explain why some dried out. I had to check through a few before I found bags that were sealed and did not leak. Going to use this to make hypertufa rather then for gardening use, may keep one bag aside to try a few palm seeds.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

mo,i scraped a load of dave browns Trachycarpus seeds and sprinkled in a pot of s.moss. delivering the best results to date. a quid is cheap,4.99 at our local garden centre
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

That is dirt cheap, i managed to get some at B&Q last week for £1.50 and i was pleased about that. I will be using it to pot up some fly traps and Sarracenia pups
themes

Post by themes »

i got two thinking they were 3.98 went to the till she scanned them twice and said 2 quid. I even checked to make sure on the receipt it said sphag moss 1 quid each. I went back and got three more. I have read they are good for seeds but have not tried as yet.
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Yes I paid a fiver and let it dry out :oops: Now I know, keep it damp and pop it in a sealable bag - simple :ahhh!:
pete G

Post by pete G »

you can actually keep it growing by laying it on a thin bed of peat in a gravel tray with no drainage holes and keeping it soggy.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Dave in Warrington wrote:Yes I paid a fiver and let it dry out :oops: Now I know, keep it damp and pop it in a sealable bag - simple :ahhh!:

Indeed but only use rainwater if using it with carnivourous plants......
Clive

Post by Clive »

you have to watch what it is they actually give you, as moss often moss sold as sphagnum moss isnt, or is dead already.

I think keeping it depends on what you want to use it for, if you need it for a compost mix at some point in the future it may be best to just dry it, as keeping it wet in a bag will just cuse it to rot. If its underground it doesnt matter if its alive or not!

Keeping it alive do just use rain water. I grow lots of carnivorous plants and it is very easy to keep alive and soon grows to give you more!
pete G

Post by pete G »

Must admit I've had my resevations in the past about whether that slightly pale brown looking stuff sold in plastic bags is actually sphagnum moss.
It usually looks very different to the kind I know.
themes

Post by themes »

Not really bothered whether the sphagnum moss is dead alive wet or dry. Its going in a blender. I can see the need for others who are using it for other purposes however it looks like this..
IMAGE_026.jpg
pete G

Post by pete G »

Going in a blender eh?

So what are you cooking up? :D
themes

Post by themes »

have to make sure nobody catches me doing that, or I am gonna get it :ahhh!:
pete G