Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) Natural Chemical Wonder

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
Libby

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) Natural Chemical Wonder

Post by Libby »

mmmmmmmmmmmmm, choices, choices!!
Many thanks RS :D
ELLEN

Post by ELLEN »

I stumbled across this discussion about the benefits of hydrogen peroxide today, just after discovering that I have accidentally overwatered my Chilean Potato vine! It is apparently a good treatment for waterlogged plants. So I have applied it to the Potato wine and will be keeping my fingers crossed! Only thing is, I have no idea how often I should repeat the treatment! Will have to watch and wait. icon_sunny
medjool

Post by medjool »

Hi there
a few weeks ago used a £2 bottle from boots on a couple of spear pull palms seems to have worked well,no dilution i just tipped it on neat.ps i didnt fell good buying blond hair dye!!!!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I buy food grade H2O2 from ebay, this has no additives, like perfumes etc, as it is for disinfecting food. I currently have 35% which is far too strong to use undiluted, and using an old ink cartridge refill syringe to measure the dilution.

The bottles from a Chemist are either 3 or 6%. I would be careful of using 6% on all but the most woody of plants, or it may damage soft tissue, even 3% seemed to damage the growing tips on my Colocasia rhizomes. :roll: for general use 1% will surfice.

Ellen, use a dilute 0.5 to 1% which will fizz oxygen around the roots, overcoming the sodden compost. I'd say just use the once and then let the soil dry out somewhat. Then if the compost is prone to waterlogging water in future with a dash of H2O2 to get the oxygen back into it. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

do you think thats why the ones you gave me rotted too Dave? i may have burned the good bits off? i also rotted a bag full of eddoes Bev kindly picked up for me?
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

redsquirrel wrote:do you think thats why the ones you gave me rotted too Dave? i may have burned the good bits off? i also rotted a bag full of eddoes Bev kindly picked up for me?
Difficult to say Darren, but will stick to 1% if there is any shoot showing in future :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by mowerman »

Mine and many neighbouring gardens suffer from severe leaf spot. I can get Yuccas and Agaves through the winter without problem but these plants especially get so infected despite a strict regime of spraying with fungicide. Having read these very interesting posts on H202 would this help in my fight ?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

had it bad here this year too mm,if the plant is strong in general,just cut it off and it wont take that long to look good again.my baccata looked awful in april,cut most of it off leaving 3 leaves and the spear.i now have a few more to cut off but 3 new very glaucose leaves thanks to all the bright sunshine.cant be a drainage/oxygen thing as its in about 5 parts chippings to 1 part ji no3 in a big black bucket type pot,think it was just the prolonged cold in which case i dont think h2o2 would help much?
Dave has put a lot more thought into this stuff than me,i would see what he says before applying any
ELLEN

Post by ELLEN »

Thanks for the advice Dave. It was 1% I used.
If 3% was too much for your Colocasia, I hope 1% will be ok for mine, coz I put some around that aswell.
I only poured it around the plant though, not directly on it, coz I was too scared!
Ellen :?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

one of the rostratas i have had a bit of crown rot during the 08/09 winter,now this has grown out,you can see some brown stains on the good leaves.i think this was caused by the rotten stuff getting fizzed into the good stuff.hasnt harmed the plant in anyway but would have looked better if this hadnt happened
mowerman

Post by mowerman »

redsquirrel wrote:had it bad here this year too mm,if the plant is strong in general,just cut it off and it wont take that long to look good again.my baccata looked awful in april,cut most of it off leaving 3 leaves and the spear.i now have a few more to cut off but 3 new very glaucose leaves thanks to all the bright sunshine.cant be a drainage/oxygen thing as its in about 5 parts chippings to 1 part ji no3 in a big black bucket type pot,think it was just the prolonged cold in which case i dont think h2o2 would help much?
Dave has put a lot more thought into this stuff than me,i would see what he says before applying any
Thanks for that redsquirrel.
You are certainly right about the Yucca recovering. The damage was so bad I removed all the foliage and side branches back in March and it's grown-a-pace in four months, see photo.
The plant also suffered from snails and I'm wondering if the damaged tissue allowed the ingress of the fungus. From my research it seems leaf spot can be very difficult to eradicate. I'll wrap copper tape around the base of the trunk to ward off the snails and continue with the fungicide treatment.
Attachments
Untitled 00m 11s.jpg