Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) Natural Chemical Wonder

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
weve

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) Natural Chemical Wonder

Post by weve »

Looks like you have now got a lifetime's supply at that concentration Dave! (degradation permitting! :) )

Had a chat to the dentist about 3% H202 as a mouthwash and she said its brilliant for both teeth and gums and encouraged me to use it regularly! Looks like the plants will have to go short!
marie06

Post by marie06 »

I read a while ago that it's what denstists use to whiten teeth, and that you can use a paste of 3% and bicarb of soda to brush with.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

weve wrote:Looks like you have now got a lifetime's supply at that concentration Dave! (degradation permitting! :) )
The times I wanted to use it but didn't due to not wanting to run out. I don't think this is going to last more than a month or 2 tops. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when is comes to BIG leaves and if this helps it will be used regularly :wink:

Who knows I might even try it on the teeth. It certainly worked on the infection in my knuckles :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Simba »

OK, I have just given a dose of Hydrogen Peroxide to two of my spear pulled palms, what next....?

Do I just leave it to dry out natuarally of wipe it all out or something else again.....???
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Simba, I treated a couple of my palms a couple or so weeks ago and this is what I was told:-

Pour H202 into hole, leave it for 10 mins till it fizzes, clean out with kitchen paper, repeat process until no muck is left and looks clean, dry off as much as is possible, then cover to protect from rain, then wait. I put a clear plastic container over mine to stop the rain from getting in, anything that does the job will do, but leaving enough air space so that no condensation builds up inside the container.

Good luck and hope it's successful. What palms are you trying it on Simba.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Simba

Post by Simba »

My Capitata, which until 2 weeks ago looked absolutely perfect.
It now looks dreadful, all cetral spears have pulled, and it looks desicated.

Also my Humilis, which looks perfect, but its 5 new spears have all pulled yesterday & today, but the older leaves all look great.

EDIT: I just dried out the Humilis, didn't seem to be much water in there.
The Capitata on the other hand, looks like one of those Pina Colada in a coconut that you get on holiday........ :(
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Gutting Simba, especially when they looked so healthy just before the pull. Just looked on your thread and spotted your plants, aaagh. My capitata and largest humilis seem to be behaving the complete opposite, all foliage completely brown at first, then the spear gradually going brown :? Neither of these have spear pulled yet though, but I'm sort of expecting it.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I don't hold out much hope for the Capitata Di, the squelchy stuff went way down deep inside.... :evil:

I am keeping everything crossed for the Humilis though. As i said, there are no other signs of damage at all, and i was really quite surprised when the new growth pulled.

It didn't come away as easily as the Capitata, and there seemed very little water held in the crown.....

Thats my optimism speaking.... :?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Simba, you can't have got very cold as many places did last winter, so I'm a bit surprised about the Butia. The only thing I can think of is it was the duration of the cold. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by harryc »

Do you Guys think this would work in the crown of a tree fern?

harry
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

mmmm.... I' be very careful of the concentrations. I get the feeling that 6% would damage delicate growth. The other thing to remember is that Treeferns are pretty rot resistant as they grow in a permanently wet state, so any rot is probably caused by dead tissue decomposing rather than good growth being rotted by wet, as in Palm crowns.

Just my opinion :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Brian »

harryc wrote:Do you Guys think this would work in the crown of a tree fern?

harry
I will let you know in a few months i used some on my small Dicksonia antarctica that had some goo and mush in the crown, i only used 1% though. out of 10 knuckles 2 had turned to mush the rest seem fine but time will tell :?
Simba

Post by Simba »

Dave Brown wrote:The only thing I can think of is it was the duration of the cold. :roll:
I think that is the key.
We had permanent snow & ice for about 3 weeks, not a huge amount of it, but temps never got high enough to clear it, before we had another flurry.
Libby

Post by Libby »

so would this work on tree ferns?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi libby,i have a d.fibrosa which looked pretty rank so i cut it back flattish and poured the stuff in at approx 20% more out of curiosity than anything else. the rot appears to have gone but there are no signs of life.i would use it on my own ferns but wouldnt recommend you do the same incase they dont like it.
the choice is yours but as Dave has already said,the rot would be caused by dead tissue rather than wet so your plant could be dead already.you could try drying out the crown and just underwatering,would possibly result in stunted fronds but at least you would safely find out if it lives or not
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure