Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) Natural Chemical Wonder

Forum rules
General HTUK rules apply. This section is for tips, hints and discussion on growing that is not related to any specific group of plants.
weve

Re: Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) Natural Chemical Wonder

Post by weve »

Ben
re teeth: H202 solution is what dentists use for teeth whitening at exhorbitant prices. The few people I know "doing it themselves" using Domestos, are under the impression (as I was) that it is an h2o2 based product. I will now contact them in the next few days to tell them otherwise. BTW their teeth don't look much whiter anyway.

I too will buy only 'pure' h2o2 for my plants. Might be particularly helpful to you Dave, with your heavy clay. I'm still slightly nervous about it tho'. May try it on some 'disposable' potted plants first, before using it on any cherished planted ones.

best
weve

EDIT: Googled "teeth whitening domestos" and it seems loads of people are doing this! :shock:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

before anyone goes and starts fizzing roots etc,i must stress i only used this gear to clean out rot after spearpulls.if it was as good for everything else plantwise as the articles say,then surely garden centres would sell products containing it??
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

redsquirrel wrote:before anyone goes and starts fizzing roots etc,i must stress i only used this gear to clean out rot after spearpulls.if it was as good for everything else plantwise as the articles say,then surely garden centres would sell products containing it??
Did you buy your mix for spear pulls in a nursery... :?: if not, why not, as it works so well :lol: They are not going to tell you that you are paying £20 for something you can buy for £2. :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nathan »

I have used the bottles of peroxide to bleach your hair with for years on spear pulled palms, it is very effective. This year a Phoenix roebellenii has come back to life after spear pulling in April icon_thumleft
khaskings

Post by khaskings »

There appears to be some confusion about bleach (verb) and bleach (noun).

The verbal noun 'bleaching' (to become whiter or lighter in colour) can be achieved in a number of ways ie from certain wavelength light or with a chemical agent. Unfortunately the more frequent use in society of the noun 'bleach', has resulted in it becoming popularly associated with a particular type of household chemical and it's effect - that is using a strong alkali with the resulting effect of colour fade/loss - when it's true meaning has a much wider scope. Collectively they should probably be referred to as bleaching agents, not bleach, to avoid confusion.

I suspect this lack of understanding is behind the belief that an alkali bleach based cleaner will whiten your teeth. Not sure if it does, but sounds dangerous to me :ahhh!:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

I always thought that if you use household bleach to whiten your teeth, then this will eventually erode the top layer of your teeth making them sensitive, and with continual use will eventually yellow your teeth anyway. I bought some Whitestick which supposed to whiten the teeth and this contains Sodium Hydroxide (caustic soda) which is used in toothpaste in small doses. I thought I would share this piece of useless information with you and hasten to add the Whitestick isn't for me as my teeth are gleaming :lol: :lol: :lol:

Di

Dave, sorry, this is o/t so delete if necessary.
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hows a white stick going to clean your teeth? mores the point,why bother,if you got a white stick,you wont see your teeth anyway :lol: :lol: :lol: 8) 8)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I went to the local Boots and asked for Hydrogen Peroxide and they hadn't got any, which is why I have not replied for a while. I finally got some at Boots Bluewater. I had to ask, and the assistant said if I had asked for several bottles she has to report the sale to the Authorities.

The 200ml bottle is 6%, cost 99p, and has instructions on the dosage for teeth clening and as use as a mouthwash. I've read up on dosage which is not as straight forward as you might think, as most websites are American, and use US measurements 1oz per quart etc. What is an oz in ml icon_scratch icon_scratch

Eventually I decided to err on the side of a weak solution rather than kill my plants, so went for a 1% solution to use on some of my brug cuttings. I poured the solution on and it immediately fizzed slightly, a good sign, as this is Oxygen being given off which Brugs love. I'll now waite a few days in case they keel over before using H2O2 again.

Incidentally, H2O2 is good for overwatered plants. Apparently it fizzes Oxygen around the waterlogged roots. :wink:

The major problem I have if this works as well as it is claimed, how to get hold of enough to use on my big Alocasias etc, without being sent to Guantanamo Bay :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Linden »

If anyone wants to buy Hydrogen Peroxide, find a branch of Sally (a beauty/hairdressing supplies place in most towns) or ask a hairdresser to get it for you if Sally's won't sell to you. Alternatively, if you're coming to the Rainforest meet, I'll bring some.... Bottles are about a pint I think.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi linden,can you get me 5 of those please.the strongest you can get. might not get to rainforest but sure to bump into you somewhere along the way. cheers,darren
Last edited by Dave Brown on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Comment: I don't know what strength you think you want, but this is highly hazardous to transport and use.
Linden

Post by Linden »

Can do Darren but are you sure? It would make hundreds of gallons diluted!
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

my little boots bottle didnt go far pouring it neat into palms last spring. if you think its too many,i just have 3,like to keep stock of things like that.im thinking of pouring it into stuff overwinter as dave mentioned,to get oxygen into the roots and also keep a lot of seedlings etc disinfected round their naughty bits
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Just a little observation, to pass on. Just type 'Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2)' into ebay.co.uk and see what you get. :shock: :)
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

makes it expensive though eddy when you have to pay the same again for postage. id much rather go and see spitfire and linden to meet up somewhere
marie06

Post by marie06 »

I've been reading up on this, and it seems that it's fine to use on the foliage but not on the roots as it will kill the micro herd in the soil. I have used it at 2 tblspns 6% to 1L of water to spray on some mildew and looks like it worked.