What palm is this?

cordyman

Re: is this a fortune?

Post by cordyman »

thanks for palm booster tip advice too nigel, I guess it will be a long wait :(
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Maybe someone nicked the needles and is now voodooing some poor unfortunate victim.

:DD
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

redsquirrel wrote:if thats the case,what was the point of using it on bare root yuccas?
Hard to explain...... Palmbooster works by generating exponential secondary root growth out of existing roots.
In case of the chammie, I know from experience they go into shock and can wait 1 or 2 years even to put out a new root. until that happens palmbooster cant take effect as it will only work on the new root.
Trachys , Butias are different, if you cut a root, the palmbooster will generate new side roots rapidly.
In case of Yuccas they ALMOST always send new roots from trunk within couple of weeks so palmbooster takes effect then the rootgrowth takes off exponentially.
I found Phoenix, Washies, Chammies didnt respond to palmbooster when being dug up, only when they had healthy active root systems.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I may give the palmbooster a miss then if it simply needs time.

Would the fresh compost and good water make a spear opening possible at such an early stage? The middle spear looks to have opened slightly
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I hope its growing but it may just be going limp
cordyman

Re: What palm is this?

Post by cordyman »

I was looking at the mystery palm in more detail and the spikes point upwards at the base of each petiole

and downwards towards the top of the petiole near the leaves (and also smaller spike)

two more pics of the 360 leaves

Zombie palms seem to have very different spikes on the trunk so I think this can be ruled out

davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

Looks like a Trachycarpus but dave has a point does have a Livistona apperance to it icon_thumleft
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

So far the remaining leaves dont appear to be wilting so hopefully its laying some roots down.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

It is for sure a chammy one of the few palms that get you when you put your hands IN , normally they get you when you take your arms out :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Can you have a guess which chammy variety Nigel? need to decide on level of winter protection
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

If it's big, ot's not Vulcano.

If it's green it's not Cerifera.

:lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Its a common or garden Chamerops humilis var chamaerops humilis icon_salut
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nigel wrote:Its a common or garden Chamerops humilis var chamaerops humilis icon_salut
:lol: icon_thumright

Although it may have been crossed with a Chamerops Humilis at some point, hard to tell without an autopsy.

:lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thought i'd give this a quick update, as tomorrow i'm binning this palm!

It still looks identical to this 1.5 years on, no spear movement whatsoever, but strangely the spears and leaves that are left are still green icon_scratch I think it is a chammy, but I think I dug out a pup, hence no chance of new roots ever growing.