Help me choose a location for my new greenhouse!

cordyman

Help me choose a location for my new greenhouse!

Post by cordyman »

Wilko's greenhouse £28

The plan is to box out the metal frame with styrofoam tiles and then put the cover over so sealed from the elements, styrofoam internal layer, light from the roof but very insulated from all sides.

Frost resistant PE cover on the outer are these any good??

Quite a decent size for the price!

Location option 1 - fence panels on rear and side, gates width away from kitchen wall and boiler outlet flu (doubt the flu will benefit but may warm surrounding air) I would probably put two of the bins at the entrance to which may also add some shielding...

Location option 2 - Bathroom wall to left of greenhouse 6" gap, garden supporting wall to right of greenhouse 4" gap, decking and void underneath to rear of greenhouse, bamboo hedge to right of greenhouse planted above the supporting wall.

I'd have to raise the lower flags with bricks and some wood or extra flags temporarily so greenhouse is on flat surface.

Which location would you choose and why?
GoggleboxUK

Re: Help me choose a location for my new greenhouse!

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Which location gets the most winter sun?

It's good to have some protection but walls and fence panels cast shadows too, if you have a location that gets overhead light all day and light on 3 sides as the sun moves across the sky then that's going to be the place to put it.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'd go with the first with it being near to the flue which might warm things a little. Plus if its near to reasonable access you should be able to dig your way to it a bit more easily when the deep snow comes! :? :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
maritimesbob

Post by maritimesbob »

I have a couple of those or the smaller types. I actually packed them away once we got the proper greenhouse erected.

Just wanted to note they can get extremely hot inside during a sunny day and also fill up with condensation quite badly. I originally placed mine on the lawn which was a bad move, the thing was soaking wet inside all the time. You also might want to tie it down, even a slight wind can lift it up. I had several ropes slung over the roof weighed down on concrete blocks!

We might get ours out again in the spring for growing our tomatoes, chillies etc..

That being said, for the price they are worth it. Ours has the same covers as yours and seem much better than the standard see-through pvc covers they also offer.

I would choose the second location as it appears likely to receive more sunlight. Up against those fences in the first image, it seems one side of the greenhouse will see much more shade unless the whole thing gets substantial overhead light. Think winter when the sun is lower.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

1st place looks more protected
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

Is this to overwinter plants? If so you want it to get most winter sunshine as possible but sheltered from strong winds (or you may see it blowing past your window)
Will you heat it? As this would be a consideration.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks for Advice today is greenhouse erection day!

Chose the shelter of two fence location outside the kitchen flue.

Rain started again so inside brewing up :(

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Rotate you pics using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer before uploading to Photobucket and you'll save me getting a crick in my neck.

;)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

impressed with it so far, only had chance to get the main cover over today in between rain. Will insulate with bubble wrap and therma wrap this week.

Nice strong cover which tucks under to keep the elements out and heat in. Duct taped all the joins as last time the top half of my old greenhouse blew off :lol: Weighed down with sandbags.

pdid

Post by pdid »

I have a similar one from Argos which I moved over the weekend as it was destroyed by the wind last week! I too have had to tape up all the joints, I think i`m going to tape the seams on the outside too.

I had three gravel trays, with seedlings, sat on the built in staging. These were blown off and went everywhere, I manged to rescue all but a few fortunately.

Just watch it when it`s windy!!!
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh, I lost a lot of seeds etc due to mine going on a flying lesson with the wind !
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

starting to fill up now, need to add the straw next

Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Have you noticed much in the way of moisture forming inside yours. Not got much space on my deck (thanks to the kids STUPIDLY MASSIVE trampoline we have moved from the grass to prevent it killing the lawn during winter. Only plan to put mine up if it looks like getting very cold again.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Are you heating Cordyman or not?. I'm expecting delivery of my polytunnel this week, its only 2 x 2.5m, but would like a small heater just to take the edge off in the worst weather :)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Tom2006 wrote:Have you noticed much in the way of moisture forming inside yours. Not got much space on my deck (thanks to the kids STUPIDLY MASSIVE trampoline we have moved from the grass to prevent it killing the lawn during winter. Only plan to put mine up if it looks like getting very cold again.
i've had it open in the day and its totally dry. Will close at night when its frosty or high wind.
Trudytropics wrote:Are you heating Cordyman or not?. I'm expecting delivery of my polytunnel this week, its only 2 x 2.5m, but would like a small heater just to take the edge off in the worst weather :)
Looked at gas heaters but they dump a load of water in the air so no good.

Looked at electric heaters but cost to run, and wiring up outdoor electrics put me off. So bringing the washy and sago in doors which are my most tender. The rest of the stuff in here will be treated to large 5 litre mineral water bottles on cold nights.