Welcome to Exotic Gardener's Question Time :-)

How do you rate this section

64%
Dislike
36%

Total votes: 39

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Welcome to Exotic Gardener's Question Time :-)

Post by Dave Brown »

I has become apparent over recent months that many questions are asked, and due to the fast flowing nature of posts disappear off the radar before those able to answer see them, so I have created this sub forum specifically for questions to be asked, and they are all kept in one place.

There is no guarantee that anyone has the answer, and if there are no replies, that implies that no-one knows. It should not be down to everyone to say they don't know.

I suggest a clear question is asked in the subject title so that those who may have an answer can identify the question easily. Please avoid "Help required". Also if you require a plant ID, try to give an indication of what type of plant it may be, ie Succulent, Palm, shrub etc in the subject, this will allow those who may be bast placed to answer a chance to home in on your question. icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Welcome to Exotic Gardener's Question Time :-)

Post by Adrian »

I voted icon_thumbdown , yet another forum to confuse things IMO

Whats the main forum for if its not to ask questions ?

Will the question time forum be a question and answer forum or a general chat on each topic as it always is ?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I'm with Adrian, why not simply adjust the forum settings to show ALL unread posts since a members last visit. TBH that's how most forums do things rather than having a clear out time delay.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

With between 200 and 300 posts a day. I think questions need to be seperate, or it's like trying to read the credits on a movie. I use the 'View Unread Posts' link, but that only shows 1 page of topics posted, anything older drops off the radar. I have found I'm missing things as a result.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Surely Aido can amend the settings to remedy this Dave? I find that, although there may be 200 posts per day, it's not often they are in more than 15-20 topics.

If you were to mark certain forums as read (Off Topic, Buy, Sell etc) then all you'd be left with is a short list that could quickly be caught up.

Adding a new forum not only relies on all members being aware of it and following the rule but it also means you'd have to spend more time sorting the new topics that weren't in the right place than you'd have to spend doing things as they currently stand.

Another option would be to appoint a couple of Mods who could move topics when they are posted in the wrong area.
grub

Post by grub »

I'm confused :? , I always have unread posts in a different colour if I go back via the forum list tab(which is what I do) and it's easy to see new posts.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

grub wrote:I'm confused :? , I always have unread posts in a different colour if I go back via the forum list tab(which is what I do) and it's easy to see new posts.
thats what i get too Grub,dont miss much unless i want to
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

In industry any change is resisted, but that is stagnation. We could all still be on 386 PCs, but most have upgraded, probably begrudgingly :roll: Those still on a 386 will be on dialup at 9,600 baud, rather than 10mbit broadband.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GoggleboxUK »

10mbit?

:lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

i voted no only because i wonder if there's the risk of the forum confusing itself with all the different sections / subsections etc etc

i don't need any more confusion :)
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I voted "Yes" all Q&A in one place regarless of what it is..........the amount of time on here you here
" That was asked earlier in the year, it's somewhere one here if you do a search"

yet this way alot of Q&A will be all in 1 thread.
Last edited by The Codfather on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
flounder

Post by flounder »

I gave icon_thumleft think its easier to search for questions that have been asked over and over again
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

most posts on the main forum are questions isnt that the main point of a forum?

though its your website so run it as you see fit
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

GoggleboxUK wrote:10mbit?

:lol:
Thats what i thought gogg 10 :ahhh!: shouldnt 50 be the norm by now ! :lol: and im not bothered about a question sub forum, most questions dont get a clear answer anyway as Ade said it usaully turns into 3 pages of woffle !
Leigh
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I have come to the conclusion that whatever you do at least 50% will grumble about it. Which is why Horse designed by committee has a hump and only lives in a desert.

In the past it has been said members like the moderation style on here, but this is not my full time job, and I sometimes wonder why I bother :roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright