hardiest Schefflera

Mr List

hardiest Schefflera

Post by Mr List »

could you guys help me with a list of the hardiest Schefflera?

also to put it into an order with biggest leaves at the top

also might be nice if they are plants you have half a chance of actually obtaining.
Rod

Re: hardiest Schefflera

Post by Rod »

Mr List wrote:could you guys help me with a list of the hardiest Schefflera?

also to put it into an order with biggest leaves at the top

also might be nice if they are plants you have half a chance of actually obtaining.
Only know our native one ( Schefflera digitata ) - This is a temperate species of schefflera.
Attachments
Schefflera_digitata mod.JPG
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

web searches say this isnt hardy
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Schefflera taiwaniana has got to be near the top of the list. Stem died here this last Winter but new growth near the base never died off and is growing well now.

Schefflera macrophylla isn't as hardy, reports at Crug to come through a minus 11 unprotected (I think it was written previous to the last two Winters), I have no idea if they still have it after this last Winter. Mine had extensive damage before it got to -11 (though eventually a shelter collapsed on it, killing it dead :roll: :shock: :lol: )

I'm sure there are one or two other varieties that have come through this Winter in other peoples gardens, but none I can comment on as I've never tried any of the others. I'd like to try a chapana this next year if funds allow and is available.

Most days I look on the Crocus site http://www.crocus.co.uk/GI earlier in the year they said they were having taiwaniana in late Summer/early Autumn if I remember rightly, but as yet, nothing. (right at the bottom of the page, last item)

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

Strange this should come up,

I have recieved seeds of Schefflera actionophylla, it transpires so has Grub. :lol: :lol:

Anyway mine is suppsedly hardy to freezing but not lower than -3.

http://keys.trin.org.au:8080/key-server ... phylla.htm
Schefflera taiwaniana is certainly the most desireable of the three scheffleras commonly considered somewhat hardy ( S. delavayi, and S. digitata being the other two). S. delavyi is not so arborescent, and not so tropical in appearance, though it has an appeal all its own. Unfortunately, S. taiwaniana is one of those U.K. specials that simply isn't available here.
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... f=1&t=2817

icon_cheers

Here is the flower of my seed.
Attachments
schefferaactinophylla.JPG
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

DiCasS wrote:Schefflera taiwaniana has got to be near the top of the list. Stem died here this last Winter but new growth near the base never died off and is growing well now.

Schefflera macrophylla isn't as hardy, reports at Crug to come through a minus 11 unprotected (I think it was written previous to the last two Winters), I have no idea if they still have it after this last Winter. Mine had extensive damage before it got to -11 (though eventually a shelter collapsed on it, killing it dead :roll: :shock: :lol: )

I'm sure there are one or two other varieties that have come through this Winter in other peoples gardens, but none I can comment on as I've never tried any of the others. I'd like to try a chapana this next year if funds allow and is available.

Most days I look on the Crocus site http://www.crocus.co.uk/GI earlier in the year they said they were having taiwaniana in late Summer/early Autumn if I remember rightly, but as yet, nothing. (right at the bottom of the page, last item)

Di

can you put up some pictures of your Schefflera taiwaniana ?
also Schefflera alpina is suppsoed to be fairly tough but i can't find any good pictures of what they look like.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

The alpina says hardy to -15 so a good contender too icon_cheers

I'll take some shots tomorrow Ken and pop them on then.

The link regarding the taiwaniana Kata, I think still stands three years on and after our bad Winters. I think all Scheffies are looooovely.

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i agree Di but smaller ones are unpredictable,i lost 2 digitata in the polytunnel,not trying again.my taiwainiana however withstood last winter unprotected without any damage BUT was under the canopy of a large Trachycarpus.2 nights of -10 would have still whistled round it not to mention that fortnight below zero. will try and find a pic.its in flower now,5 spikes,have to try and overwinter somewhere frost free as the wasps are loving it,hopefully doing the bizzo tickling the naughty bits
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Never tried the digitata Darren, would that be the same one from PGP unnamed??? Mines still in it's pot and going to be put out of frost reach this Winter.

Taiwaniana never got to flowering size for me before it was cut back :( but depending on the weather will give it the protection it deserves. Love to see a pic of yours in flower, was a beauty to start with icon_thumleft

Oh, my small macrophylla has done well, just growing it's third leaf since I've had it icon_cheers That one's not going to be sniffing the frost either :lol:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

pgp one is rhodendrifolia or something like that Di. icon_thumright icon_thumright
grub

Post by grub »

I've killed Taiwaniana and Delaveyi here, trying to kill the unnamed one this winter :lol: (Schefflera Rhododendrifolia)
Last edited by grub on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Last winter killed my seven foot Schefflera Alpinia, Kournasii and severely cut back Schefflera Taiwaniana all supposedly hardy Scheffleras. My min was only -12C but I believe the extended freeze was the main culprit. The only Schefflera to survive intact was Chapana. Most of the other Crug Scheffleras were killed in the 09/10.
Great plants for pots :?
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

grub wrote:I've killed Taiwaniana and Delaveyi here, trying to kill the unnamed one this winter :lol:
im with you on this one,nowhere to overwinter so i wanged it in the ground. not overly impressed with growth but its early doors yet
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I can only speak for my Schefflera digitata which I've had for 20 years and came through the last two winters unprotected with minor defoliation.

The plant was grown from seed collected from high ground near Dunedin, South Island NZ. I imagine it will take a lot more cold to cut back the branches but in my sheltered site for it the lowest I've ever experienced is -6c.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

looking to be a risky try no matter what you go for.