is there a totally hardy variety of Agave?

multim

Re: is there a totally hardy variety of Agave?

Post by multim »

Hi Gary,
Perhaps they may have survived in the ground where the cold wouldn't have penetrated?
I did have, which was sold to me as A. Parryi but I have my doubts, survived planted out for 15 years until that real stinker of a Winter killed it off. It looked as if it might recover but the rot had set in and it collapsed. Great shame as I was hoping to see it flower.
I did save some offsets, but those not protected in my summerhouse turned to jelly at -4c so A. Parryi, probably not.
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Dave Brown wrote:
GaryW wrote:parrasana was killed at -8
montana damaged at-8
montana killed at-12
parryi untouched at-12

All unprotected and in clay pots ! :D
Probably killed by a frozen rootball then, so not really a good test of hardiness.
I know what you mean but if they survive in a pot unprotected that's a REAL test of hardiness ! :wink:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Agave Americana is perfectly hardy in the ground in Southampton given a little shelter from biting Continental winds.

I don't know about your area though?

billdango :D
multim

Post by multim »

Those are fine for coastal areas IF you have the space.Not hardy enough for inland gardens having tried them. My friend on the I.O.W. has the veriagated form which has grown so long and leggy is resembles a beached yellow and green octopus!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Here are my self pupped A parasana. I found there is actually a third plant as 2 side by side on the left. mmmm.... I'll have to do some weeding when it stops raining :lol:
Attachments
2012-09-24-09-56-50 Agave pups.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

I see you have the same problem with those wretched little red clovers sending their runners/stolons around the Agaves, Dave. Inevitable, I suppose, if we try xerophytic gardening outside its natural environment :?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Seeing your post, Dave, made me realise another problem. My planted out hardy Agaves hardly produce any pups. I get far more with my potted ones :roll:
multim

Post by multim »

Yes, that red oxalis, horrid little weed that it is, appears to be in many plants purchased and then imported into the garden.I do not know its botanical name, but what I call it cannot be published! Hate the stuff, and if left, will seed everywhere.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i like it, i'm trying to get it to grow in my lawn :lol:
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

You will regret it when it does! :lol:

It doesn't stay small or pretty, it gets big and straggly, is impossible to get rid of, grows by both seed and root runner, will regrow from the smallest bit of root, and will strangle or smother other small plants.

It's your lawn though :D