Salt in soil.

karl66

Salt in soil.

Post by karl66 »

Is to much salt in the ground a main contributer to yellow leaves on palms, as i think this could be the case with my Butia Erispathia. If so whats the best way to reduce it or test for it? thanks karl.
Darlo Mark

Re: Salt in soil.

Post by Darlo Mark »

How do you know? By salt do you mean Sodium Chloride? Looking at your location you are not Coastal, so not sure why you'd have salt in your soil.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Darlo Mark wrote:How do you know? By salt do you mean Sodium Chloride? Looking at your location you are not Coastal, so not sure why you'd have salt in your soil.
Not sure, i seem to remember reading that if you have heavy clay then it stops proper drainage causing a build up of salt?.I know some people try to flush the salt out with loads of watering, but thats not good for palms this time of year :? . karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Yellow leaves could be a multitude of problems but salt is fairly low down the list. Most common causes are too high soil alkalinity (locks up iron), lack of nitrogen, lack of magnesium, lack of iron, too much potassium (locks up nitrogen), general problems with roots so it can't absorb food. Drainige etc, and wiith palms it can be a reaction to cold.

It would be very difficult to tell exactly what the cause is, but a balanced feed with Espom salts, and sequestered iron added may solve difficiencies. Although not the right time to feed palms now, sorting out any difficiencies would be beneficial before winter. :wink:

Check the soil acidity. pH 5 to 6.5 will suite most palms. If above 7.5 most will be a bit yellowy due to iron being locked up. Sequestered iron could resolve, but mulching with organic matter would help to reduce the pH in the longer term.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel »

Dave sequestered iron wouldnt do any harm because it wont encourage growth, only green up the plant.
No need to put epsom salts as sequestered iron contains magnesium anyway which karl already applied.
Daves list of causes of yellowing are correct and too wet is a prime one. Wet soil inhibits iron uptake which is why i suggested sequestered iron.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Many thanks, i'll just stick with the Sequestrene plant tonic for now as i dont want to overdose the Erispathia!!. I gave it a double dose of 2 satchets exactly 1week ago, should i start seeing a colour change yet?, i'm happy with the drainage now as its planted nice and high with loads of pea gravel mixed in. I do think i'll do a check on the soil though. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

karl66 wrote:Many thanks, i'll just stick with the Sequestrene plant tonic for now as i dont want to overdose the Erispathia!!. I gave it a double dose of 2 satchets exactly 1week ago, should i start seeing a colour change yet?, i'm happy with the drainage now as its planted nice and high with loads of pea gravel mixed in. I do think i'll do a check on the soil though. karl.
These things dont happen overnight and its already end of growing season. Its a very good idea to check the soil like Dave said, most palms grow best in a ph of around 5.5 to 6, but many are tolerant of slightly alkaline soil too.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Nigel wrote:
karl66 wrote:Many thanks, i'll just stick with the Sequestrene plant tonic for now as i dont want to overdose the Erispathia!!. I gave it a double dose of 2 satchets exactly 1week ago, should i start seeing a colour change yet?, i'm happy with the drainage now as its planted nice and high with loads of pea gravel mixed in. I do think i'll do a check on the soil though. karl.
These things dont happen overnight and its already end of growing season. Its a very good idea to check the soil like Dave said, most palms grow best in a ph of around 5.5 to 6, but many are tolerant of slightly alkaline soil too.
Nigel, iv'e tested the soil in various parts of the garden this afternoon where i have various fortunei, waggys, Yucca Faxionnia, Fatsia, Bannanas, & various Butias, the Ph reading varies from 4.8 to 6 With no trace of Alkaline anywhere. The other quick question is with the Sequestrene tonic, does it matter whether its watered in straight at the rootball, or do you have to pour it over the leaves as well. thanks karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Karl, 4.8 is really quite acidic. The ideal range is 5.5 to 7.
Sequestrone goes to the roots.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Dave Brown wrote:It would be very difficult to tell exactly what the cause is, but a balanced feed with Espom salts
This reminds me, I bought 5kg of epsom salt last year and have not used any yet. How do I use this and how much? i.e how much salt mixed with how much water? Cheers icon_thumleft