cordyman

Can this sikki pup be seperated from mother and where to put

Post by cordyman »

....overwinter to survive?

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Can this sikki pup be seperated from mother and where to

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

If you seperate it now you will need to ensure that you get a bunch of roots too. It will need to go inside and kept warm and light.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Sikki pups in my experience seem very reluctant to sprout individual roots - at least they are a lot slower to do so than musa basjoo. Hence i would never try and separate one i wanted to keep without digging up the whole plant to ensure the pup had Independence roots. Anything else is a risk.

Assuming it has roots separate and treat per YK's advice above planting in a very free draining mix.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

thanks i'll get a small trowel and cut right down next to main stem I think - this wont damage the main plant cutting so close to its clum will it?
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

cordyman wrote:thanks i'll get a small trowel and cut right down next to main stem I think - this wont damage the main plant cutting so close to its clum will it?
It doesn't matter if you take a piece of the corm from the main plant in fact its beneficial to the pup and the main plant wont even notice. Just make sure you backfill the hole with a fast draining compost mix.