actually how hardy is the plain green cordyline ?

palm lad

actually how hardy is the plain green cordyline ?

Post by palm lad »

just wanted to know its actual hardiness rating, like total minimum temp it would stay alive down to :?: i was last told about 3 years ago at my local gardencentre "they should be frost hardy to -8 deg C" ..but if they've survived just about all over the UK growing into big trees for the past 100 or so years then shouldnt other palms with similar ratings like Phoenix canariensis_CIDP and Washingtonia have grown well everywhere too seen as though they have the same/similar rating for hardiness?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: actually how hardy is the plain green cordyline ?

Post by Dave Brown »

In answer to your question.... No :lol:

Cordyline have only grown into trees for 100 years up the west coast. They only grew into trees here in Gravesend between 1992 and 2010.

Cordyline australis tends to be reliably hardy when large enough, to -9C but -10C sees extensive damage, the level depending on how long the freeze lasts. Small branches and the tops freeze through first, but on mine it killed the layer just below the bark allowing rot in. As it warms up the trunks rot and collapse.

The hardiness rating is rubbish really, as most exotics will die if frozen through. Saying hardy to -10C doesn't say for how long, and a 2 or 3 day continuous -3C will see a lot of plants off that should take a couple of hours at -10C. Many desert plants can take very low temps, but can't hack the lack of warming up during the day, That is why USDA zones don't work here. :wink:

Hardiness, is a plant's ability to survive a whole set of winter circumstances, Cold is only one of them.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Dave Brown wrote:In answer to your question.... No :lol:

Cordyline australis tends to be reliably hardy when large enough, to -9C but -10C sees extensive damage, the level depending on how long the freeze lasts. Small branches and the tops freeze through first, but on mine it killed the layer just below the bark allowing rot in. As it warms up the trunks rot and collapse.

The hardiness rating is rubbish really, as most exotics will die if frozen through. Saying hardy to -10C doesn't say for how long, and a 2 or 3 day continuous -3C will see a lot of plants off that should take a couple of hours at -10C. Many desert plants can take very low temps, but can't hack the lack of warming up during the day, That is why USDA zones don't work here. :wink:

Hardiness, is a plant's ability to survive a whole set of winter circumstances, Cold is only one of them.

Great, concise answer icon_salut
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

ditto that,nailed in one icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

All of the people who wrote these hardiness labels need a good telling off to be honest! :P

Duration of cold has proven to be the killer, as we have found out over the last 2 winters.

Tough plants can survive short, sharp shocks, but not sustained cold.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Adam D wrote:All of the people who wrote these hardiness labels need a good telling off to be honest! :P

Duration of cold has proven to be the killer, as we have found out over the last 2 winters.

Tough plants can survive short, sharp shocks, but not sustained cold.

Yep, put me in a big freezer and I'm hardy to -20 quite easily for a while.

Leave me in there for a few hours and I wont come out alive.

I am not hardy to -20!