Waterproof umbrellas.

karl66

Waterproof umbrellas.

Post by karl66 »

With the heavy rain the last few days i've had the big umbrellas over my rostrata & Faxionia, is protecting the crown from heavy rain ,this time of year important?. karl.
The Codfather

Re: Waterproof umbrellas.

Post by The Codfather »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what use is an umbrella that isn't waterproof

Classic icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
karl66

Post by karl66 »

The Codfather wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what use is an umbrella that isn't waterproof

Classic icon_thumleft
AS APPOSED TO CLOTH UMBRELLAS :wink: .
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

but its still waterproof.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
flounder

Post by flounder »

are you talking those large parasols from the garden furniture?
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

No parasol umbrellas used in the garden only hold the water off for a limited time, then water starts to leach through. I know this for sure as we used them at last years street BBQ, stayed dry for a short time, then the rain started coming through. I'd be inclined to use the structure from an old one and cover with clear tarpaulin :D
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

cheap fishing umbrella'should be ideal.....and they have spike to push them in the soil for smaller plants.....also they are normally made from metal, so fairly robust.
AKA - Martin

flounder

Post by flounder »

just about to post this, but you beat me to it :roll:
or get a fishing umbrella..................I don't mean a bivvy, coddy, before you say anything :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Trudytropics wrote:No parasol umbrellas used in the garden only hold the water off for a limited time, then water starts to leach through. I know this for sure as we used them at last years street BBQ, stayed dry for a short time, then the rain started coming through. I'd be inclined to use the structure from an old one and cover with clear tarpaulin :D
I've had the parasol up for the last 2 days with my Maurelli underneath. It's lashed it down all day and we had a thunderstorm and torrential rain earlier.

Mine hasn't leaked, does this mean I've got one of those waterproof umbrellas?

:lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

What would you call one that was not waterproof ?
AKA - Martin

GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

A loads of shallots umbrella,

;)
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

a sieve
AKA - Martin

Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Trudytropics wrote:No parasol umbrellas used in the garden only hold the water off for a limited time, then water starts to leach through. I know this for sure as we used them at last years street BBQ, stayed dry for a short time, then the rain started coming through. I'd be inclined to use the structure from an old one and cover with clear tarpaulin :D
I've had the parasol up for the last 2 days with my Maurelli underneath. It's lashed it down all day and we had a thunderstorm and torrential rain earlier.

Mine hasn't leaked, does this mean I've got one of those waterproof umbrellas?

You are just lucky Goggle or am I just unlucky, anyhow when I expressed my amazement at BBQ that the parasol was letting in water, some clever dick remarked its to keep the icon_sunny off and not the rain, I kept icon_silent after that. I suspect some parasols probably have a water repellant sprayed onto the cloth, a fishing umbrella sounds like a good idea though icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Mine is waxed, like a Berber jacket. It was quite pricy so in reality it should keep the sun off, keep the rain off and have a little iPod thing built in that plays "I'm not a waterproof umbrella, I'm a parasol" whenever your smart-'arris mate is about Trudy.

Can't believe you didn't put him in his place with some quickwitted retort.
flounder

Post by flounder »

I think those parasols are classed as shower proof not rain proof