Waggy leaves

karl66

Waggy leaves

Post by karl66 »

Dont know if its because my garden is so windy but most people would agree that most waggys dont have droopy leaves/ fronds. A couple of small ones i have from georges palm house are as stiff as cardboard, but a few of my imported ones although very upright to look at have the ends of leaves bent over in fortunei style. The recent wind has given my palms a right wragging :( . karl.
cordyman

Re: Waggy Fronds.

Post by cordyman »

All my george waggs have been very wind resistant and not one bent frond.

My German waggy has several but i don't mind the look as they soon have shiny new spears pushing out
Darlo Mark

Re: Waggy Fronds.

Post by Darlo Mark »

My two are from George and they stand up the wind well.
Tom2006

Re: Waggy leaves

Post by Tom2006 »

I agree, although some of the leaves do bend and snap a bit. But overall they are looking very good indeed. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i think im right in saying there are a couple of variations,european waggies tend to have larger slightly softer leaves than the japanese? small leaf form
could be wrong but sure i read this somewhere
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Maybe they were grown in a wind-free place and are not very tough?

The new leaves that come through over time will probably be more wind-resistant :?
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I`ve got 2 waggies planted out in my garden and both have very stiff leaves. I live by the coast so am plagued by strong winds and this year has been a nightmare. I don`t think i`ve ever known a year as windy as this one. So both my waggies have had a real battering. The only leaves that have broken are a few of the oldest ones as they have much longer petioles and so are thrashed about much harder in gales. Non of my waggie leaves have ever bent downwards on the ends like a Fortunei. If they did then i`d start to wonder if they were a true Waggie and not a Waggie cross.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Are they still in pots or in the ground?

Putting trachies in the ground really does help to stiffen up their leaves IMO.