what should i do with this very late Yucca arrival?

palm lad

what should i do with this very late Yucca arrival?

Post by palm lad »

way back in March this year i ordered quite alot of summer bedding plug plants for my borders and by end of May i assumed everything i ordered had been delivered. but suprised at half 8 this morning our postie woke me up to answer the door and he handed me this box from the place i ordered the other plants from and was a baby variegated Yucca labelled 'Bright Edge' in a 9cm pot. i was baffled that i never recalled ordering it and why it only just arrived end of October icon_scratch
but anyway..

the instructions that came with it said it should be planted straight out now but i'm not sure whether it would be safest bet to just pot it up a bit and leave it indoors till the spring or something seen as its only tiny. i also wondered if someone could tell me the sciency name for it so i can do a bit of research to see how hardy it is etc before i leave it to its own elements.

heres the pic below, i dunno what to do with it cause theres no info about the plant included, only planting instructions :roll:

someone help, cheers!! PL :DD
Attachments
DSC00207.JPG
GREVILLE

Re: what should i do with this very late Yucca arrival?

Post by GREVILLE »

PL, I grow this underneath my big Phoenix canariensis_CIDP. I chose it because it's hardy and drought-tolerant and the bed is full of hardy cacti and succulents so it 'matches'.

It is a cultivar of Yucca filamentosa and it will tend to form a colony of smallish yuccas.

The photo shows the leaves looking a little bit lank. I wonder if it has been kept in a greenhouse. If so, I would keep it somewhere cool and bright and give it only a little water before planting it out next spring. If you can check with the supplier to see if it was kept outside it could probably be put out now. Have a little cover ready just in case.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I agree with Greville but as its so small and easy to tuck away then I would do so, you have nothing to gain by planting it now.
By the way, I have a few here in all sorts of conditions and they are just as good anywhere, also in heavy clay.
A non fussy plant that you put in and let it be.
palm lad

Post by palm lad »

so i just pot it up and leave on windowsill for now then? :lol:
palm lad

Post by palm lad »

by the way is this "yucca gloriosa variegata" by any chance? :P
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

If it is Y.G.variegata, PL, the leaves will get longer wider and stiffer and a trunk will develop with age. Clumping from the base will follower later rather than sooner compared to bright edge.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Looks like filamentosa to me.
Filamentosa softer floppy leaves, gloriosa much stiffer and a damned site sharper at the tips.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i lost two small ones last winter,one rotted off in the middle and the other i stood on under the snow trying to get to my rain counter which had frozen.snapped it off and it didnt regrow.
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure