Mouldy tree fern

caminthegarden

Mouldy tree fern

Post by caminthegarden »

The trunk of my tree fern has greeny blue patches , is it mould and harmful, need to know !
Tom2006

Re: Mouldy tree fern

Post by Tom2006 »

Is it alive? If so its likely to be moss/algae.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Totally alive , but patches are spreading , will try again to post a close up pic,
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Pictures are needed really. If its in a damp sheltered spot I would guess algae or moss but better to post some pictures so people can see and advise.
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Here is a photo of my mouldy tree fern
Attachments
mould on my tree fern
mould on my tree fern
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Hopefully, it's just Moss or Algae, if it's otherwise growing healthily,and well watered there's no reason to suspect mould, however you could give it a light anti fungal spray, the type you spray on roses for instance.
To remove Algae or Moss you could probably just scrape it of fairly easily, I sometimes see it in the soil of moist potted ferns, and it doesn't hurt, I think it adds to the foresty look.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

It looks like a pigeon has been using it for target practise. :lol: On a serious note does it come off with a hosepipe when sprayed? say like on the jet setting on the hose nossle?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It looks suspicious. I would try to jet it off with water and they give a light anti fungal treatment. Is that a climbing plant around the top right of the trunk, if so I'd remove it ASAP.
Nick

Post by Nick »

My big Dicksonia antarctica has a carbuncle thing about half way down the trunk, it lets out a brown liquid but the lump is an orange colour, stuff washes out if I put the hose pipe on it, photo to follow tomorrow at some point, has anyone else had such growths on there Dicksonia antarctica's :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Is this after last winter Nick?...if so its probably just slight winter damage. Pics will be useful.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Just what i thought tom, when nick mentioned about orange colour stuff.
Nick

Post by Nick »

I will get you the photo's tomorrow once I am up and about as on nights, the place releases a brown colour liquid if I put the hose pipe onto it, so much so it's made a bit of hose pipe that was yellow go brown that I use to tie it to it's support, as you will see in the photo's once taken :) :) :) it will be good to know what it is once and for all.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Last edited by Nick on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Well I am up, and went out to get the photo's and it is worse than it was when I last looked at it about a fortnight ago.
Please note the problem is very near to where they hammer the nail into the trunk with the label, weather this has something to do with it I don't know, so Dr's what's your prognoses of my problem, I look forward to hearing from you all.

In this photo it looks like the coan of a Volcano?
IMG00428-20111102-1316.jpg
Then I moved and got a better view of it
IMG00429-20111102-1316.jpg
And in this one it shows how the colour is washing out/off and staining what ever it runs down on, even a near by T-Rex leaf has been stained,
IMG00430-20111102-1317.jpg
Please, is it what you thought or is it something far worse than you thought, now you've seen the pics??will it survive or is it on it's way out, or should I cut it off above the wound re plant it and burn the rest of the log to stop it spreading to my other one further along the bed??????

icon_sunny icon_sunny
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Well Tom , your TF seems even in worse shape than mine ..but back to me ! Have tried spraying with hose on jet and it did help remove some , but seemed a bit agressive . It really is a Verdigris green like you get on copper , maybe its a plant specific lichen, dont think algae in Earls Court , Its been in a sunken pot in bed for 12 years , and has never been wrapped up , and seems happy , just hope it doesnt siginify a weak plant , also took your advice and picked out parasitic plant on it , campanula muralis,
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi caminthegarden, my problem seems a lot more server than yours lol, you would not want what mines got lol take a look at the photo's and let me know what you think :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny