Mouldy tree fern

Tom2006

Re: Mouldy tree fern

Post by Tom2006 »

Good luck Nick. Hope it works icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thank you Tom I do hope so as don't really want to take my chain saw to it to be honest, thank goodness it's only 3/4in deep and not 6 or 7 in deep, it seems pretty firm at the top and back of these wounds, but soggy and gooey at the bottoms of them, so will give each a good clean out then a wash out then treat with H202 and see what happens then, will it hurt any leafs of plants below growing if any spray or drips get on the foliage of plants growing around and below :?: :?: :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

It shouldn't bother other plants but that said i would rinse any drops etc off everything apart from the wounds.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thank you Tom, once it arrives and gets rinsed out with the solution, will rinse off any that gets on other plants.
Thank you for your assistance with this problem, and for everyone else who has contributed in every post towards the solution.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

No problems its new territory for many of us. The Orange "goo" I believe is a bacteria that grows on the dying tissues so hopefully once the h2o2 kills this the wound should dry up.
Nick

Post by Nick »

That's good to know Tom, that it will dry up, will it ever heel it's self to what it was before :?: :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I honestly don't know but I very much doubt it. IF/when it does dry up and the its cleaned out, I would be tempted to pack it was soil or even a non toxic brown filler substance to prevent any further problems. Its all new territory though as until the last three winters hardly anyone had lost or had damage to a Dicksonia antarctica.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Nick wrote:That's good to know Tom, that it will dry up, will it ever heel it's self to what it was before :?: :?:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
You will be left with scars Nick. I read an article somewhere that suggested wrapping cling film around the trunk scars to encourage root/trunk growth but I can`t find it. I`ll have another look icon_salut

EDIT: Sorry Nick I can`t find it, maybe someone else can pitch in.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I would guess some free draining soil in the hole would eventually allow for fibres to grow into it.
Nick

Post by Nick »

Thanks Tom and pdid for all your good advice over this worrying problem with my Dicksonia antarctica, I wish to thank everyone who contributed to this Topic icon_thumright icon_thumright

icon_sunny icon_sunny

caminthegarden, sorry it seems I high jacked your thread, not intentional of course, but if you never started it, I would not now know what to do about my Dicksonia antarctica problem, again sorry.....
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

caminthegarden wrote:Here is a photo of my mouldy tree fern
What are you doing with yours?
Nick

Post by Nick »

Sadly my Hydrogen Peroxide was not delivered today, I was hoping it would, and as we were away from home half of the day, that is when things turn up that need to be signed for arrive, but not this time, sadly
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

i always wondered about the nails they put in tree ferns and if they caused any damage icon_scratch
Nick

Post by Nick »

Me to, as it's a foreign body, who knows what harm they can cause.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Nick I forgive you ! And your problem seems more gruesome than mine , so feel better !
Tom I followed advice to spray off mouldy stuff and it did work , but not convinced it wont come back and seeing pics of moss on trunk , it aint moss , so still puzzled and worried but leaves still green and healthy and so much else to do in garden shall try and forget for a bit !