Cloud tree.

karl66

Cloud tree.

Post by karl66 »

Anyone growing one & got any pics, i fancy one of these next year. karl.
Trudytropics

Re: Cloud tree.

Post by Trudytropics »

Karl, please I beg you not to buy one, I can't cope with the jealousy :mrgreen: . If I had spare £2000 one of those ebay ones would be mine, I love them. Hopefully I'll get a pom pom tree next year, but only spend £150-£200 on one. To me they are perfection, topiary is a passion of mine, I have the best trimmed boxes, holly and bay in the north, I'd love a cloud tree to complete the look. If you do get one, plenty of pictures please :lol: :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

so, correct me if I'm wrong, its predominantly a holly with bits cut out of it? icon_study
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Trudytropics wrote:Karl, please I beg you not to buy one, I can't cope with the jealousy :mrgreen: . If I had spare £2000 one of those ebay ones would be mine, I love them. Hopefully I'll get a pom pom tree next year, but only spend £150-£200 on one. To me they are perfection, topiary is a passion of mine, I have the best trimmed boxes, holly and bay in the north, I'd love a cloud tree to complete the look. If you do get one, plenty of pictures please :lol: :lol:
Trudy, i believe theres 3 types of cloud tree, one of them being a japenese one, & the 2 others need special trimming but are a dwarf version. you mention pom pom trees do you mean pomigranite tree?, if so i've got 2. :) . karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

karl66 wrote:
Trudytropics wrote:Karl, please I beg you not to buy one, I can't cope with the jealousy :mrgreen: . If I had spare £2000 one of those ebay ones would be mine, I love them. Hopefully I'll get a pom pom tree next year, but only spend £150-£200 on one. To me they are perfection, topiary is a passion of mine, I have the best trimmed boxes, holly and bay in the north, I'd love a cloud tree to complete the look. If you do get one, plenty of pictures please :lol: :lol:
Trudy, i believe theres 3 types of cloud tree, one of them being a japenese one, & the 2 others need special trimming but are a dwarf version. you mention pom pom trees do you mean pomigranite tree?, if so i've got 2. :) . karl.
Ttudy, just been informed what a pom pom tree is :lol: . karl.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Is anyone - Trudytropics? - able to advise me on how to make some Topiary? I have books and so on, but the practicality is somewhat different I reckon. I have 8 yew that are about 8' tall, and bushing up reasonably well, which I want to make into a chess set (nothing too anbitious you understand :) )

Happy to start a new thread if there are any folk here who could help - I kinda assumed this was the wrong audience for my topiary project icon_study
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Kristen I have never tried Yew, the advantage of box, holly and bay are they are all quick growing, so any errors quickly grow out. Your plan sounds great, quite adventurous by my standards I stick to cone, ball and spiral shapes. I find it very relaxing, but once you start you must maintain the clipping, personally I clip with topiary shears 4/5 times a year to keep clean neat shapes. My biggest attempts was two conifers around 8ft tall on my drive, they looked dull, one day I tied some rope in a spiral from top to bottom and started snipping. I had not told hubby so he got a surprise when he got home :lol: , fortunately he loved them and we got many compliments from passers by.

Apologies for taking this somewhat off thread Karl, however there is some relevance as if you get a cloud tree :mrgreen: , you will have to pay it a lot of attention to maintain its good looks :D . I actually need you to buy one now, I'll get my pleasure from seeing yours :(
pdid

Post by pdid »

flounder wrote:so, correct me if I'm wrong, its predominantly a holly with bits cut out of it? icon_study
Flounder, IIRC cloud tree refers to the method of pruning rather than the species of plant.

They are nice looking but very expensive:

http://www.seagravenurseries.co.uk/prod ... eight-1900

They look good in Japanese style gravel gardens or as speciman feature plants, not sure how they would fit in with a jungle theme though :lol: :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

its alright, I'm just funnin' actually created a cloud tree effect for a customer of mine with a wind damaged conifer, didn't look too bad until her son decided to cut it down because HE didn't like it, in fact HE cut down every shrub in the garden to ground level!
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

pdid wrote:
flounder wrote:so, correct me if I'm wrong, its predominantly a holly with bits cut out of it? icon_study
Flounder, IIRC cloud tree refers to the method of pruning rather than the species of plant.

They look good in Japanese style gravel gardens or as speciman feature plants, not sure how they would fit in with a jungle theme though :lol: :lol:
They actually look really good with a jungle type setting Flounder, I remember seeing some of AT 'Love your Garden' programmes, a couple of gardens on there had tropical plants and a few topiary specimens and pom pom trees mixed in. Like all good garden schemes, you have to be very careful where you place your plants, not just shove in wherever there is a space :lol: .
flounder

Post by flounder »

Trudytropics wrote:
pdid wrote:

They actually look really good with a jungle type setting Flounder, I remember seeing some of AT 'Love your Garden' programmes, a couple of gardens on there had tropical plants and a few topiary specimens and pom pom trees mixed in. Like all good garden schemes, you have to be very careful where you place your plants, not just shove in wherever there is a space :lol: .
now she tells me :lol: