Digging up eucomis bulbs

Jon Boy

Re: Digging up eucomis bulbs

Post by Jon Boy »

Hi Ian,

A year ago I would have said yes, I've had spectacular flowers for the last 5-6 years, but this year I've had two small flowers from two of the smaller bulbs and nothing from the larger bulbs.

They were lifted as usual last year and stored dry in a lean-to but it got down to -6 in there. I start them off with bottom heat each year but this year they were very slow to get going, the extreme cold possibly???

Jon
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Well Ian , the Sparkling Burgundy I put in pot last year to overwinter in cold frame , flowered well , it was a big deep plastic pot , bulbs huge , and kept in same pot all summer Better than ones I forgot in groundI think they like being crowded but with a deep root run , maybe like Agapanthus , they still flopped though! By the way think I started with 2 of them 3 years ago and had 8 this year so pretty quick to multiply I think.
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

I think they like being crowded , like Agapanthus , Sparkling Burgundy lifted and over wintered in pot in cold frame all flowered this year , I kept them in same pot , deep plastic,so long root run , not all left in ground flowered ,
caminthegarden

Post by caminthegarden »

Ooops , wierd , thought my relpy hadnt been posted, couldnt see it ..oh well second reply more of a phrasee !