Equisetum hyemale...or japonicum?

Nigel Fear

Equisetum hyemale...or japonicum?

Post by Nigel Fear »

Anyone growing it?
I have two labels here for the same plant here, can anyone id. it from this photo for me?
Also, how invasive is it in ordinary garden soil [which will have a timed sprinkler on it in the dryer months], and if so, will it out-compete other herbaceous plants in it's vicinity?
Attachments
DSCF3410 (600 x 450).jpg
Last edited by Nigel Fear on Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conifers

Re: Equisetum hyemale...or japonicum?

Post by Conifers »

Looks like E. hyemale to me.

E. japonicum appears to be a synonym of E. ramosissimum.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Conifers wrote:Looks like E. hyemale to me.

E. japonicum appears to be a synonym of E. ramosissimum.

Thanks Conifers, further delving and enquiries elsewhere, have led me to the conclusion, that it may not be such a wise thing to plant it out in any case, so I'll be keeping it in a pot, or a trug if it thrives, and I do decide to plunge it in the garden so as not to let it escape.
:lol:
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Looks the same as as my labelled Hyemale. I've only had it a year but I've been too much of a coward to plant it out and so it's stayed in its pot as a pond marginal.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i do a car for a lovely couple,they have a large clump planted out which has turned into a lush looking patch.they dig out what they dont want quite easily and give it away.hence my little clump in a pot :lol:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
simon

Post by simon »

I have had some in a pot for a couple of years and it doesn't like to dry out. Best is to use a container with no drainage holes. I would like mine in the ground and plan to plant it out in a container with no holes, not just to keep it moist but to prevent it from escaping.