Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Brahea Armata Roots?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looks fine to me too.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Another thread hijack but i didn't want to start a new thread.

I have just today recieved my Brahea Armata that i bought from MULU (via ebay).
It is 90cm tall (NOT inc pot) with a 20cm stem, not as stocky as the ones pictured here so a bit stretched but it was what i believe to be a bargain at just £15 (plus p&p)
The pot is crammed with roots, a few have come out the pot but are now brown & crispy (guess this is what Nigel was on about).
It will be going into a tall concrete pot next year, but in the meantime i need to overwinter it in my unheated greenhouse or shed. Would you recommend standing it on bricks? so the roots can still come out, or is it better to protect them?

Also watering, i have read they are thirsty palms so how much watering should i do over the next few months? it is in a 10ltr pot right now.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

could you not upturn a pot cut the top off and sit the palm on top of the cut off pot so the roots grow inside the cut off pot, this way they won't be exposed to the cold elements.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I have a similar sized spare pot and i can put the brahea pot into the other leaving a small gap underneath, or even put some potting grit into the bottom pot.
Then i will stand the pot on polystyrene and wrap the pot in a few layers of bubble warp.......sorted.....cheers San.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Here's the Brahea btw, not bad for £15.00
120cm in pot, palm is 90cm-20cm's of stem.
Nice pot full of roots just bursting to come out.
brahea1 (Medium).JPG
Brahea2 (Medium).JPG
Brahea3 (Medium).JPG
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

:shock: £15.........bargin
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Check Ebay mate, Mulu started selling on there recently.
They have them up for £20 buy it now or offers. I noticed the last lot they had sold a week or so back and when you check completed listing the lowest offers they were accepting was £15 :wink:

They listed some more so i made a £15 offer which was instantly accepted. Postage is £7.50, but it came courier & very quickly.
They still had 1 available on ebay last night, but may have even more to add?
They had some other palms ending today so they may of finished by now but if you click on their 'completed' listings you will see what sort of offers they are accepting :wink:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Very nice palm! bargain like coddy said. icon_thumright
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Just took the tape from around the leaves and its opened out and doesn't look half as stretched as i thought.

Well pleased with it. Altho my greenhouse is unheated im hoping it will be ok fleeced and dry.....fingers crossed.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Delboy, thats a gift at that price. I paid £30 for a similar one a few months back but that should have been £65. I have mine in a 50litre pot but shall bring it indoors in a few wks time. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Yes i saw the palmcentre had the same size (80-100cm) for £69.00......quite a difference.

I'd love to bring mine in but er indoors would have a hissy fit.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mulu have non listed at the moment....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Pm'd ya