Trachycarpus seedlings cold porch next to window OK all winter?

cordyman

Trachycarpus seedlings cold porch next to window OK all winter?

Post by cordyman »

I have 50% of my 2cm tall Trachycarpus seedlings on the windowsil in pots in my porch which gets cold overnight. The porch really doesnt seem to get much heat from the house and is quite a temp shock walking into it from the house sometimes.

Will they be ok over winter here?
Andy P

Re: Trachycarpus seedlings cold porch next to window OK all

Post by Andy P »

I`m in a similar situation. I too have quite a few tender plants and seedlings in a very cold conservatory and porch.With no heating at all. I think that as long as they don`t freeze, then the worst that will happen is they`ll just go dormant. I had quite a few plants overwinter in the conservatory and porch last year and, although it felt baltic in there, it didn`t freeze in there all winter.Even though we got temps of minus 10 or so outside. The way i think is ..... Plants are killed by frost because the water inside them expands as it freezes and destroys their cell structure.... so aslong as they don`t freeze solid they should be fine. That`s my way of thinking anyway. I could be wrong ( and quite often am on such things) But everything i brought in last winter survived and it was bloody cold in there for weeks. Does it get any sun on it during the day?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

yes its south facing so on sunny days gets quite warm. Its just at night
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I agree with Andy, they should be fine as long as the pots don't freeze through and stay that way for a long period of time.

If you're worried you could always tape a flap of bubblewrap to the window and drape it over the pot to retain some of the day's heat.

I think pushing the limits of seedlings is a good thing, the more exposed to cold they get when young the hardier they'll be as they grow.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I personally think they`ll be fine. Especially as they`ll have, at least, a little warmth during the day. But i don`t water mine at all unless the soil becomes very dry. And then i only give them very little. Too much damp or water can cause rot to set in when plants are cold and dormant so that`s usually my main concern with mine during the coldest months.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I would have said it was an excellent place to overwinter them. The only reservation is the size is very small, they are still dependant on the seed for sustenance until they at least start the 2nd leaf so you will have a vulnerability to fungus.
As already said ,when they go dormant give water sparingly.
If it is possible put them in saucers and water from below so the water rises 80% of the way and the surface stays dry, its quite difficult to get the balance right , too little and they dry up.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nigel wrote:I
If it is possible put them in saucers and water from below so the water rises 80% of the way and the surface stays dry, its quite difficult to get the balance right , too little and they dry up.
A good method is to lightly touch the soil with your finger and see if it comes away clean. If it does, it needs water. If small amounts of compost stick to your finger then it's OK for a while longer.

I use this method all year round and only water about 10ml a time. This means every day in summer but at the moment I'm down to around once every 8 days.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Thanks guys sounds like a perfect spot then! :)

"
I think pushing the limits of seedlings is a good thing, the more exposed to cold they get when young the hardier they'll be as they grow.

"

this is exactly what icon_cheers