are these canna seed pods and when can I harvest them?

cordyman

are these canna seed pods and when can I harvest them?

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234

Re: are these canna seed pods and when can I harvest them?

Post by sanatic1234 »

yeah there pods but need to brown off and dry out before removing really. as i would dare say they will be a brown colour instead of the black colour they want to be. seeds that is
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

My seeds pods turn pretty much black, and then just crack open slightly - that's the time I harvest them, before they open enough to let all the seeds inside fall out.
kata

Post by kata »

enough to let all the seeds inside fall out.
Into a paper bag. Least thats what we do with fly away flower seeds like they do at Kew.

:lol: :lol:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Good question, i was wondering the same thing the other day.
Some of mine are black so i will remove them.

The only other thing is my Canna plants were from Homebase, and tbh altho they flowered (very late) they were scruffy looking (virused?) is it ok to take seeds from plants that are possibly virused or is it best to buy new?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

This has had mixed opinions, but a lot of people say seeds don't contain virus. I believe this to be true also. :)
Another comment just on the burst pod, sometimes the seeds can still be a brown colour although the pod has split a bit, but if the seed pod is brown/black it should be ok. any brown ones i find i just discard them. I did end up having some crinkled seeds in my pods this year? i don't know what that is all about. icon_scratch
kata

Post by kata »

I never saw seed pods on my Lily.. :( :(
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:
enough to let all the seeds inside fall out.
Into a paper bag. Least thats what we do with fly away flower seeds like they do at Kew.
Indeed, although probably not too brilliant this time of the year - unless you get a dry spell. The seeds are big though, an old stocking might do. But I think they need reasonable air circulation to fully ripen, so I've been relying on keeping an eye on them instead. They don't ripen very quickly this time of the year, so it doesn't happen too quickly to be able to react :)
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

It may very well turn out there aren't any seeds forming in those pods. Many cultivars will not produce seed. I'd pop one off the stem and open it up to see if there's any early stage seed development ... could be they're just hollow.

Cheers, Barrie.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Does wrinkled seed pods mean, they are not good? i have gotten quite a few of these this year. But have also got a lot of good ones too. Can anyone suggest what the wrinkled seeds may be/cause?
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

when is the best time to sow canna seed?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Delboy wrote:when is the best time to sow canna seed?
From sowing in Jan, Feb and April this year I would say Feb/March is the best time as they get enough light and grow quickly and strongly. They can easily germinate in a couple of days.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

As soon as higher temps and daylight hours increase, early - mid march time i do mine. :wink:
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Cheers Chaps.
I seen loads of seeds on ebay for pretty cheap, i will grow from seed this year then.....cool :mrgreen:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:It may very well turn out there aren't any seeds forming in those pods. Many cultivars will not produce seed. I'd pop one off the stem and open it up to see if there's any early stage seed development ... could be they're just hollow.

Cheers, Barrie.

they were seeds from Lucien on here i think Canna Indica? would that produce a viable seed? the plants in pic are only a pint pot in height not much growth this year at all