Winter watering

Mark L

Winter watering

Post by Mark L »

I am attempting to overwinter a number of plants in my front porch this year, a Strelizia Nicolai, a small Ensete Maurelli, a small Sikki, and a couple of small musa basjoo pups, the bananas are all potted up in 50/50 mp and perlite, the Strelizia was in a pot so has not been re-potted but is very free draining.

Temps are around 5c to 16c I reckon, although the lowest It has dropped to in there so far this winter is 8c, it's North facing but fully glazed on two sides, so good light.

At the moment I am keeping everything very dry, and it all looks healthy enough, but am unsure of how much to water as this is the first time I've attempted to overwinter plants like these indoors.
kata

Re: Winter watering

Post by kata »

I guess if they look completely dry ( try the pot test) if its light then give water,

I watered very sparingly yesterday my indoor plants, also the Bird of Paradise. I tend to spray mine to be honest Mark.

icon_cheers
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Mark, were they recently potted up? If the roots have still to fill up the pot then you will need to water just enough to keep the mix lightly moist, but only do this while the weather is mild. Use warm water. If the young plants are a little more established they can dry out a little more between waterings

As your porch is north facing it won't heat up in the sun so in any cold spells during the winter you will get away with not watering at all.

BTW, lock your porch door - we know where you are :lol:
Mark L

Post by Mark L »

Thanks for the replies, I just don't want to overwater them, so will water sparingly!

Greville: My porch is always locked when we're out! :D :D :D
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I realise the dicksonia tree fern i'm overwintering in my rear extension needs to be kept watered down the trunk, but does the outside of the trunk need to be kept wet also?, this could be a problem if does as a 5ft trunk will not stop wet for 7 days while i'm away in january. karl.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My Dicksonia antarctica trunk doesn't stay wet for 24hrs. It dries out the same day it gets watered :roll: BUT... the crown stays moist, so that is ok. :wink:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

sanatic1234 wrote:My Dicksonia antarctica trunk doesn't stay wet for 24hrs. It dries out the same day it gets watered :roll: BUT... the crown stays moist, so that is ok. :wink:
Ok San, i think by just watering down the crown this should be enough, if you think about it watering the outside of the trunk indoors is not practical!. I've been told they like high nitrogen chempack feed, so i will also dilute some of this when i give it another drink :lol: . karl.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

No not really, not unless you are looking at wearing wellies indoors and splashing in the puddles. :lol: :lol:

I am not too sure about feeding the Dicksonia antarctica i am afraid :-( other members will fill you in on that, But i would of thought feeding would of been finished for this year now?
I have not fed my Dicksonia antarctica's at all as with them only being planted this year. I am waiting till they have rooted. I read on RHS website that if you feed before they have rooted this can slow down the rooting process.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

sanatic1234 wrote:No not really, not unless you are looking at wearing wellies indoors and splashing in the puddles. :lol: :lol:

I am not too sure about feeding the Dicksonia antarctica i am afraid :-( other members will fill you in on that, But i would of thought feeding would of been finished for this year now?
I have not fed my Dicksonia antarctica's at all as with them only being planted this year. I am waiting till they have rooted. I read on RHS website that if you feed before they have rooted this can slow down the rooting process.
I know what you mean about late for feeding, but this is a 5ft trunk well established & i would of thought it will still grow being indoors?. karl.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Your on a total different boat to me really mate, so its really hard for me to say, with yours being a well established Dicksonia antarctica. Where about's are you storing it Karl is it in a greenhouse?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Reason i ask is i know these are not a fan of central heating, that was all. :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

sanatic1234 wrote:Reason i ask is i know these are not a fan of central heating, that was all. :lol:
San , i have a massive kitchen/ american type diner with a high vaulted ceiling, its an L shape & part of the room is hardly ever used now the kids have left home, there is no radiator in sight only a big wood stove which is a distance away & hardly ever on so its a real cool room to keep exotics. The wifey not to happy as i have a robusta, various sago palms, a massive yucca rostrata, Brahea amarta, plus.............. :lol: . karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

The nuisance at the minute is the massive ensette maurelli's, as there high maintance & i really should have dryed them out & stored them. karl.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Can you just not cut some leaves off Karl to make more space?, mine are well and truly sleeping now. :wink:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:The nuisance at the minute is the massive ensette Ensete v Maurelii's, as there high maintance & i really should have dryed them out & stored them. karl.

Agree they are hardwork to keep in top condition in the house. They carry on growing and attract every bug in sight!