Mahonia X Media winter sun.

karl66

Mahonia X Media winter sun.

Post by karl66 »

Has anyone grown these to full size and got any pics?, i have one a few feet tall & think they compliment almost any other palms in the garden. Also can they be grown together to form a hedge. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Re: Mahonia X Media winter sun.

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

not sure what variety mine is but it's about 8ft tall at the moment and in flower, yellow .
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:not sure what variety mine is but it's about 8ft tall at the moment and in flower, yellow .
Thanks Arlon, yours sounds like the same as mine, the winter sun. How big was it when you bought it & how long did it take to get 8ft. I know there supposed to like a very sheltered position to get the best from them. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Karl, it was here when we bought the property about 2 yrs ago. it was a lot bigger about 11 ft. I cut it back to about 4ft to get some shape to it but its up and away again. I'll take a pic for you but its a bit windy at the mo :lol: . Hopefully it'll help you. icon_thumleft
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote: I'll take a pic for you but its a bit windy at the mo :lol:
Ditto! icon_shaking2
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok thanks for relpies. I have picked up another 8 specimens today about the same size as my origonal one, they are in 10 litre pots & about 28 inches high exc pot. The strange thing is 4 of them are identical & labeled as above with lovely yellow flowers & lime & red leaves. The other 4 are slightley smaller have no flower, are a darker green leave but are multitrunked & labeled mahoniaX Media winter sun, but with the added XXL on the card?, i've looked it up but cant find 2 species with the same name :roll: . Any ideas, my initial thought was that one grow's bigger than the other. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Karl
Pics as promised................
DSC01772 (Copy).JPG
DSC01774 (Copy).JPG
pretty formidable as a hedge imo, if still your intention
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

They are all over here......not for me.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Karl
Pics as promised................
DSC01772 (Copy).JPG
DSC01774 (Copy).JPG
pretty formidable as a hedge imo, if still your intention
Many thanks Arlon, i'm not 100% but i think yours is a mahonia "charity" as the flower is the same but the leaves are not that big on media version. There almost as hardy as an oak tree & if kept pruned are about one of the best shrubs to compliment the tropical look. karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Thanks for the id Karl.
Must be very hardy, as you say. It laughed at everything thrown at it last winter.

icon_thumleft
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Another.
Attachments
Picture 062a.jpg
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

Most Mahonias are very hardy and winter flowering. The common ones generally offered are all M. x media hybrids, crosses between M. japonica and M. lomarifolia. The latter is lovely, very tall but slightly tender. The hybrids, 'Charity', 'Winter Sun', 'Lionel Fortescue' and a few others, are to my eye all very similar. They often get muddled in nurseries and garden centres when labels become detached.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

The one I'd like to have is Mahonia gracilipes. Don't know if it's available anywhere though - only seen photos of it, never live plants.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Ni idea what Mahonia I have here, it was inherited with the house and is the only remaining plant from that time.
I have hacked it to the ground a couple of times but its such a good doer, theres always something of interest, either in flower as it is now, with the purple berries or just in leaf.
IMO they fit in just right with an exotic style garden, as hardy as my hammer and an all round good value plant.
I'll add a pic later.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Conifers wrote:The one I'd like to have is Mahonia gracilipes. Don't know if it's available anywhere though - only seen photos of it, never live plants.
I have one.

I bought it at Cally Gardens this Easter.