Butia Odorata.

Ste

Re: Butia Odorata.

Post by Ste »

redsquirrel wrote:Ste,i havent seen a mature one but i have one past the split leaf stage. i will get you a pic at the weekend. tbh,given we DONT know how tough this plant is yet,in your case,you could get a decent sized jubaea cheaper than youll ever get one of these and have that tough impact plant immediately. why not contact Simon at amulree and discuss his pre-prder list.Mike said there are some big jubs coming in with a whopping discount if you buy through this scheme. bigger butias will be tougher too.
one thing to remember with hybrids is any amount of either parentage could be carried through to your individual plant so from what i gather,you could pay stupid money for a plant that is 99% butia or jubaea anyway????
personally imo,for now, jubutia is more a collectors plant until proven icon_thumleft (i only bought mine because it was going for dafty money on ebay with collection only,just up the road from me)
Cheers Darren, look forward to seeing a pic. These were the ones on the pre-order list from amulree. Simon emailed me to say that they were only just putting out split leaves, anything bigger then they would be very expensive.
I already have a jubea and butia so thats why I was thinking about this. I liked the sound in the description saying you get the really thick trunk from the jubea but the elegance of butia.
I know what you mean about this being more of a collectors palm but just the sound of something that is rarely offered makes me want one even more :lol:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

redsquirrel wrote: one thing to remember with hybrids is any amount of either parentage could be carried through to your individual plant so from what i gather,you could pay stupid money for a plant that is 99% butia or jubaea anyway????
personally imo,for now, jubutia is more a collectors plant until proven icon_thumleft (i only bought mine because it was going for dafty money on ebay with collection only,just up the road from me)
Darren, we DO know how tough it is, at worst it cant be less hardy than the least hardy of the two ,ie Butia or Jubaea. Also, a direct cross will be 50/50 I dont know where you get 99% from :o
I have seen many reports and these are pretty hardy palms, well proven, not that it even needs to be proven given the hardiness of the parents. Hybrids often show INCREASED hardiness so it could even be hardier than Jubaea.
Also in 5 years you have the same size plant as a Jubaea after 15 years.
Jubaea is my favourite palm and probably always will be , its just such an expensive palm for its size due to its slow growth.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nigel wrote:
redsquirrel wrote: one thing to remember with hybrids is any amount of either parentage could be carried through to your individual plant so from what i gather,you could pay stupid money for a plant that is 99% butia or jubaea anyway????
Darren, we DO know how tough it is, at worst it cant be less hardy than the least hardy of the two ,ie BIA or Jubaea. Also, a direct cross will be 50/50 I dont know where you get 99% from :o
I have seen many reports and these are pretty hardy palms, well proven, not that it even needs to be proven given the hardiness of the parents. Hybrids often show INCREASED hardiness so it could even be hardier than Jubaea.
Jubaea is my favourite palm and probably always will be , its just such an expensive palm for its size due to its slow growth.

I think your both right. A cross with have 50% of butia genes and 50% jubaea genes but you could still end up with a plant that looks 99% like one or the other as some genes will be more dominant than others. Having said that I think I may get one! ...if allowed.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Kris, the crosses are always pretty consistent in the first generation so you would know what you will get. In second generation ,especially backcrossing with butia the plant tends to look more like Butia, but the Jubaea as mother cross is quite distinctive even through 2nd and 3rd generations.
It is the BxJ F2 or F3 that is the more Butia like one.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nigel, thanks for explaining that. So how long does it take to get a F3, F4? Surely a very long time as you have to wait for the plants to mature and set seed each time?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

There is a lot of hybrids in the USA right down to F4 generation. From this, if you know the parentage of the cross you buy then you should have a pretty good idea of what the palm will look like.
JubaeaXButia is very beautiful and the subsequent backcrosses even when with butia continue to produce a plant that shows the Jubaea trait.
ButiaxJubaea is also very beautiful, but those backcrosses are really quite different , still beautiful but more Butia like.
They are ALL very cold hardy.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Nigel wrote:Also in 5 years you have the same size plant as a Jubaea after 15 years.
This sounds positive then. Might of just talked me into for going for one. My jubea is 9 years old now and only a meter tall, I diddn't want something else what was that slow growing but this sounds quite good if after 5 years it will be around the same size as a 15 yr old jub.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ste, photos of Jxb and Jubaea. They are very similar.
Attachments
jxb orlando.jpg
jubaea_chilensis.jpg
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

BxJ, butia as mum is more butia like.
Attachments
butia x jubaea.JPG
butia x jubaea.JPG (219.61 KiB) Viewed 1111 times
Ste

Post by Ste »

Thanks for the pics Nige. I actually think the BxJ looks nicer than the JxB.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Nigel wrote:
Darren, we DO know how tough it is, at worst it cant be less hardy than the least hardy of the two ,ie Butia or Jubaea. Also, a direct cross will be 50/50 I dont know where you get 99% from :o
99% was an exaggeration Nige,are you saying they will all be identical?? :wink:
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

redsquirrel wrote:99% was an exaggeration Nige,are you saying they will all be identical?? :wink:
Darren , no 2 plants are identical, however if you take a Jubaea and put pollen from Butia, the resulting plants will show no more variation than either Jubaea or Butia because the genes will combine in a specific way because in every plant the same dominant /recessive gene combination will match up.
It is only when you take seeds from this hybrid to grow that variation creeps in. Even then because the plant is apparently not self fertile , the resulting second generation tend to be quite stable , but differ based on the pollen donor rather than gene reshuffling from self fertilisation.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ste wrote:
Nigel wrote:Also in 5 years you have the same size plant as a Jubaea after 15 years.
This sounds positive then. Might of just talked me into for going for one. My jubea is 9 years old now and only a meter tall, I diddn't want something else what was that slow growing but this sounds quite good if after 5 years it will be around the same size as a 15 yr old jub.
Ste, both these hybrids are desirable but if ever you come to sell on , my opinion is jubea x butia will be more sort after. karl.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Some years ago I visited a Jubaea field in spain.
One palm dwarfed the rest. This was a JxB. In this photo you can see both the JxB and Jubaeas of the same age.
Attachments
Jubaea hybrid.jpg
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

They are beautiful palms.