Do trachys always grow perfectly straight?

cordyman

Do trachys always grow perfectly straight?

Post by cordyman »

My little waggy in front garden, is ever so slightly slightly leaning towards the pavement. I had a thought the other day, what if it carries on growing at that slight angle eventually it will overhand the pavement and the fronds will attack people :lol:

Does the ever rotating sun ensure a Trachycarpus will always grow perfectly straight upwards once in a permanent position? regardless of starting angles?
flounder

Re: Do trachys always grow perfectly straight?

Post by flounder »

No, a little one of mine seems to be growing horizontally. I'm sure once its found a favourable site it will then grow up!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Its bigger than seedling about 60cm tall i think, the one at the front. Like I say very slightly slightly leaning towards the pavement, i'm just paranoid it will grow big and stay slanted :cry:

I'll try and get a sideon pic to demonstrate it better at some point
flounder

Post by flounder »

the answer is still no. They don't always grow perfectly straight to start with, but when they get to the right width to form a trunk then they pretty much grow up rather than off at an angle....there that sounds better icon_thumleft
Ste

Post by Ste »

Apparentley they should straighten up. Im experementing with 3 waggies. Im planting 3 all close together at the base but having them all on an angle - leaning away from each other. Im hoping in time they will all straighten up which should hopefully put a curve in all 3 trunks. I'll let you know in about 20 years if its worked or not :lol:
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Some will grow with an oblique habit in early years. Often this is not apparent once the palm has developed beyond that point. However I did see one today that had a very distinct curve along the bottom 2 feet or so of trunk. No details as to it's nature or reasons behind it's planting.

Cheers, Barrie.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Las Palmas Norte wrote:Some will grow with an oblique habit in early years. Often this is not apparent once the palm has developed beyond that point. However I did see one today that had a very distinct curve along the bottom 2 feet or so of trunk. No details as to it's nature or reasons behind it's planting.

Cheers, Barrie.
I remember doing a topic last year Barrie about curved Trachycarpus trunks and ive just found the picture you added to the topic.
Attachments
curved trachy.jpg
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Indee Ste ... thought of that one immediately, but also to the one I'd seen today, far less dramatic. That palm on the cover of Chamaerops was given assistance to achieve that status. Also, stripping off the trunk fibers completes the look.

Cheers, Barrie.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

If they are given space and even light they will grow perfectly straight. They only grow at angles when shade from houses or other plants comes into play.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

its south facing so that answers the question thanks all! icon_cheers
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Ste wrote:
Las Palmas Norte wrote:Some will grow with an oblique habit in early years. Often this is not apparent once the palm has developed beyond that point. However I did see one today that had a very distinct curve along the bottom 2 feet or so of trunk. No details as to it's nature or reasons behind it's planting.

Cheers, Barrie.
I remember doing a topic last year Barrie about curved Trachycarpus trunks and ive just found the picture you added to the topic.

Oh and i'd hate a palm like that it looks terrible :lol:
mumfie

Post by mumfie »

they eventually bend towards light. i've witnessed this at heligan: it takes many years.