tetrapanax trunk

Adrian

Re: tetrapanax trunk

Post by Adrian »

Dont worry about under planting Bob, the plant will take care of that itself (if it hasnt done so already) after three years they pup like billyo
Bob

Post by Bob »

Yes Ade, I've oiked the odd one or two out already. I'd prefer to keep the single trunk now if I can.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Bob wrote:After 3 years of total ground coverage from the leaves I now have three growing points and the chance now to get some under planting in!!.

I had absolutely no idea that they could eventually look like this...I really like this look, something like a Scheffie... icon_thumleft
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Thats the look I'd want too, tree like. I don't mind smaller leaves and a tall trunk, would fit perfectly in my little garden. Can't wait for mine to arrive :D
simon

Post by simon »

Bob, I am in the same situation as you regarding under planting. My only worry is that another harsh winter kills the stem back and it shoots lower down, smothering all the underplanting.

Ade, I think that your smaller leaves has more to do with it branching than the height of the trunk. I tend to break off any active side shoots to prevent branching and the leaves don't seem to have got any smaller. I find the same with Fatsia, that when theyproduce multiple growing points after flowering or frost damage, the leaves get smaller so I prefer to break some of them off.
Bob

Post by Bob »

simon wrote:Bob, I am in the same situation as you regarding under planting. My only worry is that another harsh winter kills the stem back and it shoots lower down, smothering all the underplanting.
I hadn't considered the possibility of that happening Simon. Especially as it had coped so well with the last three winters outside, but it is a consideration. I'm going to have to go with shade lovers anyway and hope for the best. icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Mike K,AKA metalhammer has a right rogue in his garden,make no mistake,these are clever plants,it went under the greenhouse footings and up into the tomato beds inside.it was huge,Mike being as keen as he is,even removed some of the glass to let it get even bigger icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure